Is Bigger REALLY Better?

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #11  
The reason for the bigger/better thing here is that so many posters have no tractor experience, and are hoping to do incredible things with small tractors. It always seems to start... "we just bought 40 acres in texas and I want to remove all the rocks to Oklahoma. Will a garden tractor do?"

I think you do often and up actually needing LESS tractor over time, since you do the big landscaping/home building tasks and then only need a maintanance machine.

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #12  
You make good points about the tractor sizes. I am always looking for a stronger machine but most of my work is light construction. I do not mow lawns with it.

I posted on this subject while dreaming about what I wish I could find in a "perfect" to me tractor. As expected, others have their own "perfect".

I used to think, and to an extent still do, there are too many models out there. The more I look the more I find are made. Some shouldn't be. They may fade?

A freind has a small 24HP JD that has it's place snaking through the woods? Lots to be said for smaller tractors in some cases.

It is still good to hear opinions. Learning can be painful sometimes.

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #13  
I think the question is missing context actually. There have been threads lately that raise a very related question - Toy vs. Tool - or more succinctly, what is the actual NEED involved in owning a tractor.

I would wager to say that a significant portion of TBNers as CUT owners have the latter because they enjoy operating them, enjoy a station in life where they can feasibly own and maintain one, etc. Would their domestic life collapse into rubble if they didn't have one? For many that answer could be a resounding NO. That being said, the context of Is Bigger Really Better is kinda moot.

For the puny few who make their livelihoods from agrigarian endeavors, machines are an absolute necessity that allows them to compete. This usually does not inclue the CUT class of machine. For those who supplement their other livelihoods with agrigarian efforts, they would be hard pressed to have that machinery figured into the balance sheets at the end of the day. Yet for those who have machines used for other commercial purposes, CUTs make good sense (landscapers, builders, etc.) For private home builders who want to DIY with site prep and materials handling, the high resale value of used CUTs can make a good bottom line if they unload the unit when it's original function is fulfilled.

ALL this being said, Is Bigger REALLY Better? I'm having a hard time finding relevance to this at all. If ya like BIG and can HAVE BIG and can USE BIG, then BIG it is. If ya think BIG is too BIG, then go SMALL if it doesn't impact your professional or domestic life.

Does anyone REALLY need a car that can hit speeds in excess of 90 mph? Most sold today will do that easily. Do people go that fast usually? Is it necessary? Does it make things better for them in general? I think not.

Bottom line? The tractor, in most cases here on TBN, can make our lives somewhat more comfortable and perhaps provide more leisure time for other things. How big it needs to be is directly related to how much comfort we can stand and how much leisure time we'd like!

(If all you have is FUN when using your tractor, then you probably didn't NEED one to begin with!)

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #14  
we just bought 40 acres in texas and I want to remove all the rocks to Oklahoma

Exactly we we shoot 'em at the border.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better?
Yeah the answer is probably just like many things.......It depends!

Depends on your personal needs, depends on your likes, depends on your dislikes, depends on who else you let use it, depends on your financial situation, depends on your susceptibility to getting caught up in the process, depends on your realization of the tasks that can be done....etc.... etc... etc....

Bottom line I guess is really what most everyone gives as their disclaimer "you really need to decide for yourself" then you will be happy with your decision.

I am very pleased with my BX, only thing I would do different is I would have added more implements at the time cuz now I have the payment, wife won't let me spend the extra on attachments as easy.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts as well. TBN is a great community of people!

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #16  
The longer it takes to do the job the more fun you're having, right? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Is Bigger REALLY Better? #17  
Physical size, I'm quite happy with my 670. However, I'd wish I'd gone for a 770 (if one had been available at the time and I knew then what I know now! ).

The ol' 670 has served my purposes admirably. I use it to run a 60" Land Pride cutter through some pretty thick brush. That's with 16.5 HP @ the PTO (Land Pride recomends 20 PTO HP minimum). I'd like a PTO chipper, but I'm right on the bottom of the requirements, powerwise.

But, this machine has done what it was bought for.

Maybe in a few years...a little more HP. I do like this size though...so maybe a newer 770 or 790 is what I'll end up with.

Attachments

• 402770-MVC-008F.jpg
    402770-MVC-008F.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 96
   / Is Bigger REALLY Better? #18  
Here's my opinion for what it's worth.I've had 4 tractors and each time I trade I loose my tail,so this last time I really thought it through before buying new.Decide what frame size best suits your needs.In John Deere's case they have small,medium and large.I chose small.Then get the biggest tractor in that class,I chose the 4115.So far I couldn't be any happier with my choice.Will it do everything my bigger tractors would do? No, but looking at the big picture it's perfect!