Is Howse disc good?

/ Is Howse disc good? #11  
Re: cowboydoc

Doc - Who has the single bottom 3 pt cat 1 plows for under a hundred bucks? I'm looking for one.

/ Is Howse disc good? #12  
Is that a 48" "roto"tiller in your bio?

If so why dont you use that?

/ Is Howse disc good? #13  
Mtsman
Here is my take. Take soil samples and have them analyzed. Get some Round-up and a sprayer and spray the area you want to plant. Let it sit a few weeks and die off and then apply lime as needed and run your tiller through the area. Fertilize as needed with 5-20-20. Let land sit until early July and spray again. Put your seed down first week of August. Make sure you run a light drag over the seed. I use a section of chain link fence or a pallet drug behind my atv. Try and plant seed just before a rain.
I have started food plots in spring with plowing of ground but they can become full of weeds quite quickly. For spring planting my ground prep is done in late summer or fall. Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Marty

/ Is Howse disc good?
Steve,

Yes. 48" rototiller. I had originally thought that would be perfect for what I need to do with the clover thing. But, the soil has not been planted in over 20 years,...maybe 30. All we did was brushog every 2-3years.

Now I am beginning to speculate the tillers ability to go through 2 acres of this field let alone the initial time involved. I also thought it might be too hard on the tiller. I thought I could go over the area with the tiller after the disc. I know there will be some BIG rocks initially.

Do you think it could handle that job?

/ Is Howse disc good?
Thanks John,

I think you're right. Although I probably could handle a 5 foot disc, based on your unit and Tractor I may have to go with the 4' with 12 of the 16" discs. It would be much less strain on my tractor.

Its good to hear that the Angle Iron frame is holding up for you. I think I can drop down from the D frame to the angle Iron. When I called Howse the rep said they lowered their prices on all their discs. The advertised internet prices were wrong. Have you ever in your life heard of that?!! I bet that 4' is under $400. I will call tomorrow.

/ Is Howse disc good?
Marty,

With hobbies like "food plots" (for deer I'm assuming) you are just the expert I needed to find. I have questions. Let me get back to you.

/ Is Howse disc good? #17  
Mtsman,
I have used my tiller on old ground. Just have to slow down and make 2 passes. On areas that I have used Roundup the tiller needed only one pass at max depth. Made the tiller work more effectively.

Thanks for the complement."Expert" might be kinda strong, but I do have some knowledge about plots. One warning though, it is addicting. Marty