Is this a scam? Is it a Massy 1225 or Iseki E3112?

/ Is it a Massy 1225 or Iseki E3112? #11  
I am sure now, after looking into it more. That would also explain why they took off the steering wheel cap. Hinomoto makes a very good tractor, and the decals that they put onto it is not that uncommon. They have re branded Kubota tractors as ZEN-NOH tractors for quite some time to get around the importation laws. Hope this is helpful.
Absolutely not true. Zen-noh is a rice/ag cooperative that was in business long before (1972) the importation of small Kubotas became illegal. Zen-noh sold tractors from several manufacturers under their own label, and those manufactured by Kubota are exempt from the import ban because the ban is based on trademark issues. If any importer is caught with tractors (as determined by serial #) that were Kubota branded in Japan and rebadged Zen-noh to get around the ban, they are in violation of the ban. Not saying no one has done it, but it still doesn't make the tractor a legal import (so it doesn't get around the importation laws---which aren't laws anyway, but rather arbitrary rulings from a non-elected commission). It had to be sold in Japan under the Zen-noh label to be a legal import.

/ Is it a Massy 1225 or Iseki E3112? #12  
I agree, and I was not trying to offend anyone, because these were the early days of grey market tractors brought against Wallace International Trading, and the law suits that Kubota brought against the grey market importation mainly because Kubota dealers could not compete with these tractor sales, and they lacked PTO guards and ROPS. In fact they will not provide parts or service if you own one of these tractors that is in violation. There are third parties that relabel older grey market tractors as ZEN-NOH. This happens overseas, and not by the seller in the US. Below is a link that explains the entire process if anyone is interested. I feel bad because I wasn't trying to imply that companies in the US are doing anything illegal, or selling altered tractors, but this happened a lot, and sometimes still happens. I don't agree with this ruling, and I am all for grey market tractors, and free enterprise. Lets face it, these tractors are Kubotas, and they have the ZEN-NOH name put on them by the cooperative in Japan. Zen-Noh tractors are also sometimes Yanmars. I do think that they should upgrade them to have the PTO shield, and the ROPS, but I think that the dealers in the US do take these measures. I am very impressed with the dealers in the US that sell grey market tractors, and I will purchase one when I need another tractor. All that I was saying was that there were a few original dealers that did this to get around the law suit. It was actually pretty creative. Below is the information and a pretty good article on it. I hope that I didn't steer anyone away from grey markets, I think they are some of the best tractors, and deals out there.

"The ZEN-NOH name was not part of the trademark infringement suit Kubota had brought and won against them. ZEN-NOH trademark name was not mentioned in either the general expulsion or cease and desist orders! Gamut Trading had stumbled upon a loop hole in Kubota痴 trademark infringement suit they could not distribute Kubota equipment but, ZEN-NOH tractors were fair game! If they could continue to get their hands on ZEN-NOH equipment maybe it would be business as usual?These were the outcomes.

ZEN-NOH and Kubota Part 2: Importation | OrangeTractorTalks

1. A trademark infringement case
2. A general exclusion order by the United States International Trade Commission
3. A cease and desist order

Built for ZEN-NOH by Kubota
Kubota built hundreds of thousands of every conceivable model of their tractor line-up for immediate local delivery to ZEN-NOH. Some of, but not all, the tractors that ZEN-NOH took delivery of were affixed with their name. Kubota installed hood decals and ZEN-NOH branding right on their own assembly line during final stage roll out.

It is not known whether Kubota relabeled their own product under the terms of a contract with ZEN-NOH, or if the cooperative itself was looking to garner some goodwill and advertising of their own once these re-branded tractors were deployed.

One thing is certain, ZEN-NOH was, and still is, buying tractors in very high volume from Kubota and as such, gets a nice volume purchase discount. The rock bottom pricing allows ZEN-NOH to lease or sell the tractor to the farmer or producer at a very affordable price. Everyone wins all the way around.

These ZEN-NOH branded Kubotas are original ZEN-NOH which differ from their counterparts as you will read below.

Exporter Relabeled
The second reason why you may have ZEN-NOH branding on your Kubota is that your equipment was intentionally relabeled at the time of export by a 3rd party. Why would someone go to the trouble of relabeling perfectly fine Kubota equipment at the shipping docks on Japan痴 eastern coast? Money of course, but the story is a little more complicated than that.

/ Is it a Massy 1225 or Iseki E3112?
Thanks to everyone who has offered information to help in my quest to determine the make of my tractor. MHmitch, I believe you are correct that my tractor is like the Hinomoto N239. Checking my pictures of my tractor against those on the Hinomoto N239, http://www.machineryzone.com/used/us...oto-n239.html#, there appears to be a match. I compared the right side view which looks the same including the profile of the instrument panel shield/dashboard. Also, from what I can see, it looks like the insturment panel is the same. The hand rails and 3 point hitch controls and dials, on the right fender, have the same profile (can't see the dials, but the incasement is the same.). The 4 seed shift lever on the right side of the steering wheel is the same placement on both tractors as is the shuttle shift lever on the left side of the steering wheel.

The front end looks the same including the hood with no access covers or gas cap. The stack is the same placement.

The rear body molding and taillights look the same, and the fuel cap is in the samp place as mine.

The 4 speed selector on the left side of the seat is the same. I can't see the PTO speed selector on the N239, so I don't know if it's the same. The differential lock is in the same location as is the knob for changing the speed of raising the 3 point hitch, and the parking brake is in the same place on the left side of the seat.

So, I am of the opinion that my supposed MF 1225 is a Hinomoto N239. The questions I still have are the engine HP, my bill of sale says it's a 31 HP engine. The MF 1225 shows 23 HP and the N239 shows a 24 HP engine. The Hinomoto on the net that I'm using as a comparison is a 1990. My seller tells me it is a mid 2000 tractor. It is very clean. It does not look like it is 20+ years old.

/ Is it a Massy 1225 or Iseki E3112? #14  
Hi,

I'm glad to hear that it was a help narrowing the search down. Hinomoto does make a 31hp engine, but from what I can tell the tractor is different. it is possible that the engine was replaced. A lot of grey market tractors that are 20+ years old are remanufactured before they are sent to the US, and they make them like new again, both inside and out, so it may be possible. I found a thread on here where there are a bunch of owners who have the n239 and they may be able to help a bit. It looks like they also have manuals. the link to the thread is,
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/grey-market-tractors/203853-hinomoto-n239.html

It sounds like you have a great tractor either way. I found that is also a Hinomoto N329, that is a 37 hp, but it is possible that yours is a model in between. Anyways, they look like great tractors!

I also found a video on youtube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3iUvLAXGYc[/ame]

and

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ii7mSV2BPk&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
Thanks NHmitch, I'm taking the day off tomorrow and plan to see if I can find some numbers on the chassis/frame and engine that might help in my search.

I posted the following on the TractorByNet.com > Related Equipment > Ag Tractors & Machinery site:
I purchased a tractor, from an individual, with decals and paint representing it as a Massey Ferguson. He had purchased it
from Greenville Tractor & Equipment, Greenville, TX. He gave me a bill of sale on which he had copied the description of the
tractor from the invoice he got from Greenville Tractor & Equipment. The description states: "Massy 1225 31HP 4 wheel drive
Tractor, with power steering, shuttle shift and aux 3-point tilt. Serial # 1008/6112".

The MF 1225 manual has NOTHING in common with my tractor, and the 1225 descriptions and pictures on the internet have
NOTHING in common with my tractor. However, my tractor matches almost perfectly with the Hinomoto N239 at
ttp://www.machineryzone.com/used/us...oto-n239.html#. But, I can't find a manual or other specific information about the
N239. In trying to track down what the actual make and model of my tractor is, I have been given many stories from other
dealers such as the reason the meter was reset to zero was because the refurbrusher followed the law for certified tractor
rebuilders which require that certain criteria, set by law has been met such as reboring the block and putting in oversized
sleeves and pistons as well as other requirements such as new bearings, shaft miked and/or turned etc.?

I have not been able to find anything on the internet about such a law. Do you know of such a law? If so, can you tell me
where I can finde the law/codes?

Also, do you know if a 23/24 HP diesel engine could be pumped to 31 HP through this rebuild process?

My hour gage is at 100. The person I purchased it from said it was set to zero because it was
rebuitl/referbushed/remanufactured by a certified dealer. Have you heard of a law that permits resetting the hour gage to
zero?

Last edited:
   / Is it a Massy 1225 or Iseki E3112? #17  
It looks like Just Tractor Parts carries manuals for Hinomoto's, I would call them and ask if they can get your manual. I will also keep looking for you.

I hope you can find more info on it, you may want to try looking on ebay, or even Ebay.co.uk, that is the Ebay
for england, they usually will ship to the US, and they seem to have a bit more.

Mitch

Hinomoto Tractor Manuals, Hinomoto Parts Manuals, Tractor Manuals