Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS???

/ Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS??? #1  

grayw0lf

Tractor
Kubota L355SS
I Love my new (to me) Kubota L355SS. I did notice however that there is a mesh screen on the supply line to the hydraulic pump & that's it.

Is it worth it to install a spin-on filter on a return line?

/ Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS??? #2  
A hydraulic system needs at least a 10 micron filter other wise it is a ticking time bomb. CJ

/ Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS??? #3  
The mesh screen is only a trash guard, probably only 120-100 micron. The $6,400 questions are what do you do with it? How many hours per year? And how long do you plan to keep it?

If all you are mainly mowing than it doesn't pay to monkey with a filter. If you do a fair amount of FEL work, maybe it would because you will ingest some dirt past the rod seals. If you do a lot of work with the hydraulics than yes it would probably pay. What you have to consider is the added back pressure of the filter, especially with cold oil, is going to make the pump work a little bit harder all the time and you will burn a little bit of extra fuel. Then add in the cost of a filter and plumbing. Now compare that with one potential pump rebuild/repair, if you plan to own it long enough. A third option might be just replacing the fluid every year in late fall/early winter once there is minimal dust in the air. (I have tracked oil samples were I could tell when it rained!)

An accountant would look at cost vs. return. On the other hand my dad taught me that preventative maintenance is the way to go, so I would lean toward the filter. And like CJ said something in the 10-15 micron range would be good. Obviously you want it rated for system flow, but going higher won't hurt as it will lower the back pressure and give you more dirt holding.

ISZ

/ Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS??? #4  
Agricultural tractors up as late as the mid 70's didn't have any filters in the hydraulic system. They were all gear drive then so no hydrostatic to worry with. Anyway, in the 25 years that I spent on the farm, we never had a pump failure and never heard of any of the neighbors having one either. The only time the oil got changed was if it got really milky from water contamination. Some farmers never changed the hydraulic oil, just kept it topped up from loss due to broken hoses, etc.
I wouldn't worry too much about installing a filter if it was mine. I was apparently designed without the need for one and the additional back pressure might actually harm the pump.

/ Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS??? #5  
Common sense should tell you that a good filter in a hyd system should be a requirement.

If you ever take a filter apart, you will see or not, bits of metal, rubber, Teflon particles, tar like substance, etc.

They say to even filter hyd fluid from a container before it gets into your hyd system.

I would say definitely add a 10 micron filter.

Something like this.

3/4" NPT 20 GPM FA1200-10 RETURN FILTER

/ Is it worth it to install hyd fluid filter on L355SS??? #6  
Ok, here we go. The older gear stuff was in the 1500psi range or less and built like a tank. On top of that it was low flow 5 GPM range and did not stir the sump up too bad. So like Gary said they rarely failed. All the older piston stuff [John deere] has good filtration. The new tractors usually have a aluminum housing gear pump that is not very dirt tolerant but is higher pressure. The pressure, aluminum/bushing pumps don't like dirt. As far as back pressure, you will not harm the pump, a extra 25psi on a 2500psi system will not be noticed. That is 0.08 hp. so fuel use will not be a issue either. As far as benifit, well you have to be the judge of that. A small 3/4" head and filter is about $30 + whatever you need to install. I will put them in the return side before the cooler if there is one. So it is up to you. Me? I would put one in. CJ

OOps JJ beat me to it and covered it well. As of yesterday here is a good example of not filtering new oil. Customer cleaned his system out replaced $40,000[not a misprint] of hydrostats and drive motors and now has a $15,000 denision stat that will not go over 1500psi. This unit has a pressure comp for open loop systems and has a piece of something stuck in the comp. So keep stuff clean!!