Is my line of thinking logical?

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #21  
If you get a loader, do not fail to also get a ballast box and, if desired, loaded tires. Not knowing a lot about tractors, I significantly under-estimated the importance of rear ballast with a loader, and only really fully realized when I took the loader off for a task and was amazed at how differently the tractor handled. IMO, the choice between loaded tires AND a ballast box or just a good, heavy ballast box is debatable. IMO, loaded tires alone are insufficient, because they do not take any weight off the front axles, which I believe is important with an FEL--and my tractor's user manual agrees with me. It has lift capacity for ballast+loaded tires or ballast alone, but doesn't even mention loaded tires alone. And seriously, don't even think about passing on ballast entirely with an FEL. Yes, you can get by. I am right now, because I didn't know better when I purchased. But I'm putting more load on my front axle than I need to, and I'm taking unnecessary risks every time I put significant weight in the bucket.

If you have a heavy enough box blade or some other such implement, you may choose to use it as rear ballast instead of a dedicated box.

Well said and Worth repeating!!!

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #22  
You mentioned hay. Round or square are bales? That also will determine HP. If that is a goal weight will be your friend.

/ Is my line of thinking logical? #24  
Just food for thought, you can get a very good deal on a used tractor if you take a few minutes and look at the different internet sites(ebay was the first one) there are more/better than this. You can also use machinery locator or similar search engines. 7-11-2012 1-52-01 PM.jpgThis is just a quick example of what is out there.

The tractor is just the FIRST expense, tillage and harvesting is argueably the next biggest expense. DO your homework, talk with a local farmer/ AG office near you for ideas.

If your going to farm get a FARM tractor, not a over priced orange gentleman's farmer on the weekend tractor.(i know I'll get the what for's for that comment) Yes they can make an expensive tractor, but that isn't the only consideration, besides your choices should always be RED or GREEN:) .

Last edited:
   / Is my line of thinking logical? #25  
Here we go again.