Is quality going downhill?

/ Is quality going downhill? #11  
Anyone making a product for profit has it made "off-shore" which means Asian countries. China, Taiwan etc.
There are levels of "how good do you want it?" which is dictated by profit margin. And everyone wants a huge
one of those.

I've been trying to avoid items made in China for a number of reasons like human rights policies (for lack of a better word).
It's almost impossible to avoid things made in China. Either the total product or the parts of...

/ Is quality going downhill? #12  
My Kenmore washing machine gave up after 20 years. Of course the critical part I needed to repair it, the spider that held the tub, was NO LONGER available. Everything else was still available, just not THIS part. Oddly this one part seems to have been designed to fail after about 20 years, the definition of a lifetime warranty. It was the only part made out of cast zinc metal, and directly attached to a stainless tub. I currently have a Jenair downdraft oven/stove, also bought 20 years ago and the glass top is cracked. Jenair wants $500 for a replacement top, before shipping is included. For "fix it" people, like most all here on tractorbynet, this is a crazy price for a piece of Pyrex glass.
reb, I'm only 63, and I'm right there with ya! I will never own a wifi connected white good. I don't even like the ones with digital clocks. A nefew gave us a Google Home Mini as a Christmas present. We immediately donated it, unopened, to Goodwill. :)

/ Is quality going downhill? #13  
Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. I have had to send items back or use warranties more the last year than ever before.

Bought an air rifle from a major manufacturer that will not group well from a rest. It is going back tomorrow. Bought a scope for the rifle that became fuzzy after a short while. The company replaced it. Bought a remote control for the wife's satellite dish. Couldn't make it work and returned it couple of months ago. A hearing amplifier broke before the factory warranty expired. The other quit before the extended warranty expired. (I expected that--with an extended warranty on one of those it is almost a given that replacement is inevitable.)

Back when I was working the company dissolved the quality assurance group and apparently let the customer be the final test. This in an outfit that made aircraft instruments. Has this become a trend?
Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. I have had to send items back or use warranties more the last year than ever before.

Bought an air rifle from a major manufacturer that will not group well from a rest. It is going back tomorrow. Bought a scope for the rifle that became fuzzy after a short while. The company replaced it. Bought a remote control for the wife's satellite dish. Couldn't make it work and returned it couple of months ago. A hearing amplifier broke before the factory warranty expired. The other quit before the extended warranty expired. (I expected that--with an extended warranty on one of those it is almost a given that replacement is inevitable.)

Back when I was working the company dissolved the quality assurance group and apparently let the customer be the final test. This in an outfit that made aircraft instruments. Has this become a trend?
You are probably old enough to remember "Made in Japan". The same quality as "Made in China" is today. The Japanese were capable of producing high quality goods, they had the skills and knowledge, right after the war but for many reasons did not. One major reason is that buyers in the USA wanted and so specified low quality goods. The Japanese, wanting to rebuild their economy, took the jobs they could get. Part of the reason crude stuff was made was because of damage to their manufacturing abilities, but a large driver for cheap goods was demand from the USA.
Now China is doing the cheap goods thing for similar reasons. Demand from the USA and the "West" for cheap goods. Their quality continues to get better. Now goods from India are starting to fill the niche that China has occupied for some time.
Of course, Japan, China and India are doing nothing new. When we were the "Colonies" we started to export goods that competed with those made in England. Mostly cruder, always cheaper. That made some in England mad, and that led to laws restricting imports through tariffs and the like.
The world keeps turning, and as it does so it keeps turning out the same scenarios.
Eric

/ Is quality going downhill? #14  
I'm getting there but I buy for function and the 1960 and 1970 appliances have worked out well.

Of course they cost real money back then and often very heavily constructed as anyone moving one learns fast...

/ Is quality going downhill? #15  
My refrigerator and oven are 27 years old. I thought people were replacing them because they were the wrong color.

/ Is quality going downhill? #16  
I have a few shot guns, Mid-60s Browning 12ga over-unders made in Belgium. several grades. These are basicly unused, New Old Stock. I've sold a few. And really didn't get much for them because the barrels are are not sold as using steel or Bismuth shot. I know this doesn't matter. Buyers don't seem to care. They want chrome line barrels for skeet,and other clay shooting. So they think the steel shot will ruin the gun. I think these guns are worth a bit because they are "quality," and not the japanese made guns and should be in the $4,000 range, compaired to new guns in that price range. Yet, I only get offers of $1,200 or so. The modern buyer, me thinks, doesn't care if something is European made.

/ Is quality going downhill? #17  
My refrigerator and oven are 27 years old. I thought people were replacing them because they were the wrong color.
Happens a lot... the word I here is dated but if you wait long enough it is Retro...

Coffee, Harvest Gold, Avocado, Almond... plus some Blue and Black...

/ Is quality going downhill? #18  
While I agree that quality has been declining for a long time, it seems to have become much worse lately. Appliances, cars, tractors, and almost everything else have no where near the life that they once did. I think this is mostly due to cheap plastic parts being used to replace the real components in the older items.

/ Is quality going downhill? #19  
I think this is mostly due to cheap plastic parts being used to replace the real components in the older items
Yup, they only have to last 366 days rather than the life of the machine.
Look at the plastic camshaft and sprocket for the..... Briggs I think it is? Who in their right mind would ever even consider that, the bean counters. It's easier/cheaper to injection mold plastic than cast and machine steel. As long as it lasts the warranty, alls good.
I've got nothing against profit, it's what makes the world go round but when you see companies gouging because they can it ticks me off, wood is the most current example. Now stores, around here at least, are crying they have to sell lumber for less than they paid for it. Didn't see them crying when they were gouging customers a few months back, I have no sympathy what so ever.
Simple example, year or so ago a two liter bottle of Coke was regular priced at $1.00, now regular price is almost $3.00. No one can tell me the expenses went up that much.
Rant mode off LOL. Sorry for the off topic...................Mike

/ Is quality going downhill? #20  
Today, you's pays your money, buy your Chi Com junk and landfill it when it expires. Must be why I hang on to older fixable stuff.