Is Rural Living a Hobby?

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #141  
Similar here. When the parcel beyond me, an orchard/no house, was put in MLS the broker told me I had to pay part of paving the easement to make that parcel salable. Sorry, no.
The easement is still gravel 20 years later.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #142  
The only smaller productive parcels I know are in Christmas Trees…

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #143  
The only smaller productive parcels I know are in Christmas Trees…
Small niche vegetable parcels are another option. Think sweet corn, pumpkins, tomatoes (big cannery here in Indiana buys them up), beans, watermelons, greens.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #144  
Farm stands make a decent living around here. The biggest has a commercial kitchen and sells pies. They bake 24/7 during the holiday season. They bottle their own salad dressing using farm onions and herbs for seasoning. Last week I bought a package of sliced pinto beans and onions that makes a nice broth with boiling water, though it's short on seasoning. They also do hay rides this time of year, and have a field where kids can pick their own pumpkin for Halloween. They keep three people full time in the store and several more in the field.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #145  
Lots of hobby aspect here! We got the first rain in over 200 days. Neighbor said the UPS truck got off his lane and is stuck in the new mud. So could I bring down the tractor to pull him out. I took the little (1600 lb) 4x4 Yanmar down and found the UPS truck was resting on its chassis with the drive wheels dangling after he dug himself in deep. Obviously hopeless but I tried towing it forward, then from the back. It didn't move at all. Projects like this are pure hobby, entertaining whether or not they succeed!

It's been a couple of hours and I haven't seen a tow truck drive by yet. Some UPS deliveries are going to be late, today.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #147  
There are a couple of nice u-pick lavender farms around here. Just a few acres and some bee hives. The honey sells quite well, too.

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #149  
I don't know... "hobby" means you can set it aside whenever you want. My animals wouldn't accept me putting them in the closet!

I have a place where I do some hobby things (things that look pretty random and such), but it ain't a hobby farm.

Anyone can walk away from anything. The financial aspect don't necessarily make the distinction between being a "hobby" or not. And, "enjoyment" or not doesn't make the distinction either.

My first order of business, seeing as I didn't inherit an exiting farm-able place, was to make it something that could at least fake being sustainable for its inhabitants (let's not kid ourselves, nothing is really sustainable in our modern world). The side play is to [keep] looking for ways in which, as things start to turn, that I/we can provide that can work for barter. I just look at it as a farm that's taking a lot of early losses! (it'll eventually go to someone else, and perhaps those that get it will step things up)

/ Is Rural Living a Hobby? #150  
As far as profit from small scale farming, I guess it depends what's termed "profit", and also where you're at, and who's the clientele. I live in an upscale exurb area, and we're close enough to Chicago where the locals here like terms like "farm fresh" "free range", and "organic", but don't feel inclined to venture to far for all that. My property is on a hill going down to wetland, not suited for crops, but great for water fowl. So I raise ducks, I love their eggs, I sell their eggs, people buy their eggs. That pays for feed, beer, etc. Not much beyond that. We've also done piggies here before, but just for ourselves.

My neighbors down the road had way more going on, would raise goats and sheep, some pigs, and a bunch of various fowl. They got sick of all the work w/o having much to show for it. Just not enough profit doing it on a small scale. For me with the ducks, it's just supereasy, I don't work too hard at it, and most importantly I enjoy it.