Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys?

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
Is it me or is stuff made cheap these days. I have (now had) a 1 bottom plow for my little massey. I am in the process of making a low water crossing. Was using the plow to rip with. Low and behold I literally pulled the plow in two. Not very beefy at all. I also have a couple of old massey ferguson plows probably 50 years old. I don't think you'll be pulling those onto. One plow is so beefy you better not worry about the plow, but what you going to use to pull it. It takes quite a horse. I had a little cheap disc and pulled the tongue out of it. I have another disc and it is beefy and heavy. Don't worry about that disc, worry about what your going to pull it with. I got an 8 ft big ox blade and it is beefy not going to break anytime soon. Yet in comparison all my newer stuff just looks so cheap and flimsy. My loader on my massey has stress cracks and is falling apart. The loafter on my allis is 40+ years old and it is rock solid and shows no signs of falling apart soon. Is it me or is this new stuff cheap and not made to be rugged.

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #2  
You can find beefy implements if you seek them. They're out there. It doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint to build a loader frame out of 1/2" wall tubing for 25 hp subcompact tractor. You'd use up much of the lift capacity just raising an empty bucket.

Go to the Buying and Pricing forum. Everyone on that page is looking to get the lowest price on a tractor. Manufacturers are building to a price point. You can have the best engineered, best built 50 hp tractor on the market but if the price is more than $500 over the competitors machine, you won't be able to sell them. This is the predominant trend in all manufacturing these days.

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #3  
I hear you...wash machines to pressure washers etc. etc.,have to pay more for better grade.:rolleyes:

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #4  
I don't mind cheap and disposable so much, especially if I know it it. I don't like expensive and disposable/non-repairable.

Bruce

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #5  
No excuse for mechanical things like tools and equipment etc...but these days anything with a battery and or software of any kind basically has a limited shelf/use life...firmware upgrades are only as good as the dated hardware...so why make things sturdy enough to outlive their effective life?...

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #6  
I don't even bother with consumer grade stuff anymore. I have to seek out commercial or industrial grade stuff so I don't break it when I try and use it.

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #7  
I try not to buy the new stuff. My 2 furrow plow, post hole auger, cultivator (converted from wheeled to 3 point) are al old vintage stuff from back in the 8n/ farmall days; I don;t farm so use them occasionally but they work well and are beefy enough to weld or repair if need be.

/ Is stuff cheap and disposable these dsys? #8  
good luck finding a seed spreader that isn't a cheap-all-parts-will-rust-POS?