Is supersteer worth it?????

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #1  

itainme

Tractor
TC 33D
I'm trying to get a powerful tractor, but also one that is manuverable. Supersteer sure sounds like the answer. Is it really that easy? Any complaints from supersteer owners? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Right now I'm looking at either a 33D or 35D. I like the power of the 35 for FEL, but I like the size of the 33 for mowing and tilling. Help!!!!!

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #2  
Make sure you drive a SS tractor before you buy - especially try to maneuver with the FEL in close quarters.

With SS tractors, the arms of the FEL initially move in the direction opposite of the steering wheel turning. It's really frustrating initially, but you can get used to it.

The other advantage of SS (beyond the small turning radius), is that you get the Sensi-Track, that shifts the tractor from 2WD to 4WD automatically when the wheels are slipping.

You need a different loader for SS tractors since the front wheels protrude further forward, and the loader sticks out ~10" further than non-SS tractors.

Is it worth $1000? - only you can answer that. I bought a TC40D-SS and have no regrets.

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I like the power of the 35 for FEL, but I like the size of the 33 for mowing and tilling )</font>

I was in that quandry, and found a solution in a slighlty differant shade of <font color="green"> blue </font>

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #4  
Chris, you hit the nail on the head. I have a TC40D with Supersteer. I am anxiously waiting to see the design of the new TC line later this Fall or early spring. At this point I don't think I will get SuperSteer with the next tractor for the points you made in your post. I leave my loader on about 90% of the time so the "quirk" of the front end of the tractor going in the opposite direction when you first start your turn is magnified. When I don't have the loader on I don't notice it as much. I have a hay wagon I use to hall firewood. Backing up a wagon into a tight spot is a bit of challenge on a good day but add the "front end steering quirk" to the mix and sometimes your tempted to get off the tractor and push the wagon by hand.

I think if I used the tractor with a belly mower I would be more appreciative of Supersteer. I had a chance a week ago to drive the Case IH version (DX40) that does not have a Supersteer. There is however a noticable reduction in turning radius. The shorter loader I think is an advantage on the non-supersteer tractor. Assuming I don't go with Supersteer I've got the option of the Case IH now. My New Holland Dealer has been great but I must admit I like that red paint. My Newholland dealer does not have a non-supersteer tractor for me to use but the Case dealer has offered to let me try the DX40 with loader at my place to see if I will miss the tight turning radius of the Supersteer. Its probably going to be tough decision.

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #5  
Figure out what you will be using your tractor the most for. If it is loader work then get the larger tractor and forget Super-Steer. If your going to do mostly mowing with a Mid Mower then get the smaller tractor with Super-Steer.

Some say Super-Steer is bad with a loader and you can't manuever as easy. I disagree with that as you will get use to using it and can take advantage of it in tight corners. Also remember when using the loader with Super-Steer you do lose stability because the front wheels become narrow.

Again if your getting the larger tractor for loader work then forget it. Smaller for mowing get it.

Murph

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #6  
I have it and wouldn't do it differently!

/ Is supersteer worth it????? #7  
I'll second that BEE.
I have a 84" MMM on my 35D w/ SS and wouldn't trade this set up for ANY other MMM/tractor.
The longer loader will be a benefit loading trucks because of extra reach and the SSL QT on the class III FEL is great.