Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #21  
Be careful with the use of lighter oils. They do not protect as well and they are used for fuel mileage in cars. Not a good reason for switching in your heavy equipment. Cars are trying to meet cafe requirements.

That is not true. A lot was learned about how plain bearings and lubrication works in the 1970's and 1980's. A seminal article was published in the SAE journal co-authored by GM and Ford engineers. They found more significant forces holding the bearing surfaces apart than just viscosity. That they could use lighter oils every bit as well or better than heavier. However changes were necessary to the bearing design which rendered the heavier (then 10W-40 was the industry standard) unsuitable.

In other words, you don't know better than the engine manufacturer. Use of a heavier oil in an engine designed for 0W-20 will do harm. Just as use of a lighter oil in an engine designed for heavier oil will do harm.

Quite frankly I don't see engines dying on the sides of the road due to lighter motor oil as was predicted by armchair mechanics.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #22  
These are the same people that put plastic timing chains in otherwise long running engines. Not sure I trust or believe the motives behind anything they do.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #23  
These are the same people that put plastic timing chains in otherwise long running engines. Not sure I trust or believe the motives behind anything they do.

Excellent point !!!

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #24  

No, they do not.

There are plastic timing chain sprockets in some engines. Not chains. Works great for most. Has advantage in being quieter.

Honda OHC single cylinder utility engines place the timing belt in oil.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #25  
Seems the new GM littl Diesel has a plasic timing chain. No? Regardless, something that will eat itself long before the engine is worn out, and this indicates to me, they don't have my long term Diesel Durability (and my money) in mind. I mean really? Do I care if a metal long lasting timing chain and gear makes a little more noise. Heck, I want a good loud Diesel, and you wouldn't be able to hear the timing chain anyway.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #26  
That is not true. A lot was learned about how plain bearings and lubrication works in the 1970's and 1980's. A seminal article was published in the SAE journal co-authored by GM and Ford engineers. They found more significant forces holding the bearing surfaces apart than just viscosity. That they could use lighter oils every bit as well or better than heavier. However changes were necessary to the bearing design which rendered the heavier (then 10W-40 was the industry standard) unsuitable.

In other words, you don't know better than the engine manufacturer. Use of a heavier oil in an engine designed for 0W-20 will do harm. Just as use of a lighter oil in an engine designed for heavier oil will do harm.

Quite frankly I don't see engines dying on the sides of the road due to lighter motor oil as was predicted by armchair mechanics.

I didn't imply that I knew better, I cautioned against using lighter oil than the manufacturer recommended.

So what exactly did you take issue with in my post?

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #27  
No, they do not.

There are plastic timing chain sprockets in some engines. Not chains. Works great for most. Has advantage in being quieter.

Honda OHC single cylinder utility engines place the timing belt in oil.

Honda has a failed philosophy in their continued use of timing belts on their engines. Having to break into the engine to replace timing belts so early in an engines life is poor engineering practice.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #29  
The lighter oils are not driven just by fuel consumption goals. The lighter oils are driven mainly due to the tighter tolerances on new (modern) engines. Thicker oil might do harm on these tighter tolerances especially during cold starts. Stick with what the owners manual states for the temperatures you are going to operate the equipment in.

/ Is the trend now to go with lighter viscosity oils in equipment. #30  
So maybe they have to make them looser! A 70s/80s Diesel engine would use 15w/40 and would run for 10,000 hours without attention and only oil changes. That's what DIESELS were all about! This new technology belongs in the garbage!