Is there a better way to do it?

/ Is there a better way to do it? #1  

ns_in_tex

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HSTC, International 2400, Hesston 1280,
First, this is just for use on the farm.
When I want to go somewhere on the farm & load the truck to move dirt, brush, trash, ETC, I don't want to have to deliver the truck, go back & get the tractor. I need a good way to quickly hitch the two together & take them both at once.

This is what I came up with for the kubota, and it works great so far. I am concerned that it is putting excessive strain on the loader & possibly the frame of the tractor.
Sure would hate to see my little tractor break in half. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

First I took an eight ft piece of 3-1/2" pipe & made a tongue. Connect it to the front trailer receiver on the tractor. Put a chain to the bucket & lift it off the ground.

Attachments

• 324532-Tongue on tractor.JPG
    324532-Tongue on tractor.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,715
   / Is there a better way to do it?
Then I drive up behind the truck & drop the hitch down on the ball.

Attachments

• 324534-Tongue hitched to truck.JPG
    324534-Tongue hitched to truck.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 956
Next I drop the loader till the bucket contacts the tongue. The loader does not have enough power to lift the front wheels with just down pressure. (One reason for the roller bearing in the center of tongue). I have to have the bucket curled back some when it contacts, then curl it forward till bucket is level & it will lift the front of the tractor just fine.

Also roller bearing is so additional strain is not imposed as I drive over hills or terraces, ETC.

Ok guys, tear it apart. I am open for suggestions.

Attachments

• 324541-front wheels lifted.JPG
    324541-front wheels lifted.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,038
   / Is there a better way to do it? #4  
ns_in_tex,

First thought that came to mind is whether you should be towing a HST tractor.

I know cars with other than standard transmissions have restrictions on towing. Or even prohibitions...

Is towing a HST tractor OK? Or is there possible damage to be caused, even if it is in neutral?

Certainly don't know the answer but would be curious to hear from someone that does... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I believe this is the first time I've seen mention of towing a tractor like you are doing here at TBN...

/ Is there a better way to do it? #5  
cool idea, i hope your tractor isn't hydro though..

/ Is there a better way to do it? #6  
<font color="blue">Ok guys, tear it apart. I am open for suggestions. </font>

1. I assume that towing your tractor is OK per Kubota - some Hydros aren't supposed to be towed.

2. How about a hinge on the tow bar & tow it flat four like they do behind RVs? You wouldn't have to put the strain on the loader. It's not Like you have to be able to back the thing up.

Nice Idea by the way.

Henro,

Towing the hst has crossed my mind many times. I do not know the answer either. I hope someone who does know will fill me in.

I do put it in neutral & also leave the engine idling. I read somewhere long ago, a certain gear tractor should be towed this way.

Normally I will not be pulling it over 5 mph, and not over 1/4 mile at a time.

I guess I am spoiled, but a quarter mile hike, when I want to be working, is not what I am looking for.

I started similar, long ago with my larger tractor. With it, I just back up to and pick up the front of the truck (loaded or not) and away we go. Sorry, the little kubota can't handle it that way.

I also have a tow bar on the front of the truck, which I can use on the road, but in soft areas, sometime the front wheels will turn cross ways & drag.

Hasmat,

I wondered about that also. Would be easy to make a tow bar to attach to two trailer receivers on the bucket, or might make longer one attach to the front of the tractor.

I just wondered if the tractor would trail properly, since the truck fails to sometimes. Also, I wondered if the power steering would have any effect on trailing.

/ Is there a better way to do it? #9  
Would it be possible to build a dolly to pull the tractors' back wheels up on sorta like wrecker drivers use to haul cars on? Maybe you could attach to the 3 point hitch?

/ Is there a better way to do it? #10  
Go to an old yard sale, pick up a used bike for $25, and throw it in the loader/truck bed. Then that 1/4mile won't seem that far,plus you can go alot faster than 5mph /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Mark
PS Tow rig is a clever idea!