Is there an alternative source?

/ Is there an alternative source? #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
I need your help.

I recently bought a JD 457 round baler that has the BaleTrak Plus monitor system. The monitor has a power cord on it that has to be plugged into a 12v power supply. The new JD 5085M that I just bought has the "convenience outlet" built in, so that hook-up won't be an issue. But, I really want the option of using my NH TN70A to run the baler and it does not have that plug. (it has a 12v plug, just not the same as the JD and Kubota) Anyway, I stop by a JD dealer to buy a plug. $112.00 + tax!!! :mad: So, I decided to try Kubota. And that was so much better. $94.50!!! (I think I need some blood pressure medicine) ;)

So, here's my question. Does someone sell that little, plastic, cheap-looking, 3-prong plug for less than a $100 bill? Or, does someone make an adapter that will go from my NH connector to the JD connector?

/ Is there an alternative source? #2  
JD p/n re51091 is the basic 3 prong tractor side plug in. Should be less than $60. You will have to come up with your own protection ie circuit breaker, fuse, etc.

/ Is there an alternative source? #3  
Should also mention that you should not use an adapter. both the monitor and the actuator(s), need a good strong 12v to operate properly. You would know right away the monitor would tell you if you have low voltage.

/ Is there an alternative source?
Ctlguy,
thanks for the info. I'll check with the dealer. The crazy thing is, if that were not a tractor part, it probably wouldn't cost $5.00!

/ Is there an alternative source? #5  
So, here's my question. Does someone sell that little, plastic, cheap-looking, 3-prong plug for less than a $100 bill? Or, does someone make an adapter that will go from my NH connector to the JD connector?

Any chance that you could post a picture of this funky plug?

Aaron Z

/ Is there an alternative source? #6  
tractor side pic

Attachments

• re51091.jpg
    re51091.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 3,774
   / Is there an alternative source? #7  
Have you tried Grainger ?? Wouldn't think it should over $50.00 let alone 100.

/ Is there an alternative source? #8  
The $100 kit is not just a plug in. Would include curcuit breakers, wiring, etc (instructions geared to a Deere tractor). The Deere 3 prong plug does not have to be used, it comes standard on current Deere tractors, utility size and larger. You can simply cut that plug in off and use any style plug in that you desire. A three port style is nice because you would have a live as well as a keyed wire if you hooked it up in that fashion.

/ Is there an alternative source? #9  
You might be able to save a lot of money but you will have to do some legwork.
First:
You have to measure with a meter what is coming out of the plug at each terminal. Does it have fuses, etc. or is that past the plug and changing it won't affect the circuitry? So before you go hooking anything auxiliary up you know what you're getting.

See if there is a manufacturer's logo or name on the plug. Your best sources for connectors are probably Mouser, Digi-Key, Newark, Avnet and Jameco. Mouser doesn't have a minimum but DK has a $25.00 min.

Rob

/ Is there an alternative source? #10  
Betcha your local Hardware Store will have some standard 12 volt male and female plugs. A set for about ten dollars!:thumbsup:

All that is then required is making some connections.

Leave the standard JD plug in place and splice in your own plug. That way the original is still in place with the original protection.:thumbsup: