Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread?

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #111  
"The problem with information on the internet is you can't always tell if it's accurate" - Abraham Lincoln
As always..."consider the source"

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #113  
I took some time and found a good video on how to replace the power window regulator on my wife's folks 2000 Grand Marquis. Was great. Didn't leave out anything. Followed in exactly from my phone while performin the task. Very happy with the results. Several months later, my daughter Mercury Sable had the same problem. Took me half as long as the first time. Turned out OK.

However, one thing I'll note... some of the videos were absolute crap! Left out multiple steps, parts, how-to's, etc... If I'd have believed their advice, or followed their steps, there's a good chance I'd have failed.

So do your research and don't believe the first one you read.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #114  
On the BMW the rear window regulator went out... $600 at the Dealer.

The online video was spot on... spent $40 for a new regulator... the motor was reused.

Time for video surfing and install and ordering on line 3 hours tops.

The Internet is an amazing resource... I'm old enough to remember trekking to the library for research.

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #115  
...Time for video surfing and install and ordering on line 3 hours tops.

The Internet is an amazing resource... I'm old enough to remember trekking to the library for research.
Wiring Simplified By H P Richter was the $1 DIY handbook that I thought everyone used back in the day. Now today why would anyone want to roll back the clock to that? (Keep an eye on the vote next week to remove Net Neutrality!)

/ Is there any interest in a Electrical education thread? #116  
I have a couple of those... bought my first circa 1980... loved the part about Farm Wiring and having the Well Pump ahead of the "Main" for fire fighting.

Several of the Ortho Books were my bible... great illustrations as to 3 and 4 way switches, J-Box connections, Fan Rated J-box etc...

Those simple resources were enough for me to pull my own electrical permits in Oakland...

Many were for Service Upgrades... standing in line there is a the Contractor Line and the Homeowner...

The first time the three ahead of me got shot down and were told to get a licensed electrician with city business license too.

The counter person asked me about a dozen questions... wire size, grounding, bonding, weather head, minimum service requirements, etc... and then said OK... pay the cashier.