Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both?

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #21  
Yep... just happened to my wife last week at Wells Fargo for one of our sons. She had deposit slip and 1k cash, they said no way...

Aside from reasons already posted, part of this may be nothing more than a strategy to increase fees - something our banks here love to do.

Bank drafts and other forms of xfer cost money to the depositor..... another reason they don't want to accept cash.

Rgds, D.

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both?
If cash is crowded out, then all transactions would be traceable. Imagine if all you had was a PIN number in the days of prohibition. Oops I am too old for that -- but it's something to think about when the industries or government can track any purchase. Need a new handgun or ammo? Hmmm .... purchase declined for unknown reasons?

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #23  
Yeah, in the US, we have thousands of banks. We also had thousands of bank failures back in the 30s. Canada
had NO bank failures in the 30s, but I think there were only 8 banks in Canada back then. US regs made it
difficult or impossible to consolidate small local banks back then, so they could not spread the risk.

I have recently run into the no-cash-deposit policy at 2 of the biggest US banks when I was trying to pay
a customs brokerage and a freight-forwarder.

What I do not understand is why US customers stay with the Big 4 US too-big-to-fail mega-banks. You
get better service at credit unions and local banks, and most offer similar services now, even biz accts.

A student of history, and another country's yet.... that is doubly impressive.

Well, I have to grudgingly admit that there are some strengths to the Canadian system, at the macro level. Damning with faint praise in some respects :cool: .... as you can say the same thing about a well-run crime family. At the individual consumer level, arrogant, condescending, and indifferent are adjectives that often come up.

Any regional or national trust company that attains any notable size is usually subsumed by one of the Big 5. I've dealt with 2 here over the years that were gobbled up...... Resistance is Futile..... But, while it lasts, you can often find better service and rates at some of the few smaller Canadian companies.

Years ago, a guy I worked with was driving back home from the USA. Didn't have a credit card, had run out of cash, and back then, ATMs were white rhino rare, at least in the rural US. He stopped at a small bank in a little town, to see if there was anything that they could do manually with his ATM card in the bank. The answer was No, but then he was told "If you have any personal cheques with you, just write out how much you want".

After they convinced him they weren't joking, he quickly wrote out a cheque for something like $200 - enough to pay for gas until he got back to Canada. Holding the much appreciated greenbacks in his hand, he asked "What do I owe you ?".They pretty near had to pick him up off the floor when they told him "Nothing Sir, have a great day".

Things probably have changed south of the 49'th in that regard today, but back then, I know of no Canadian bank that would have done that. On the remote chance of finding one here that would, there would have been a hefty service fee.

Nobody wants an unstable banking system, but I just wish ours would back down the fees they charge..... esp. when the Big 5 run around spending billions on global acquisitions...... (Rant Off :muttering: .... sorry OP ).

The best service around here that I've found is with a regional credit union, although I've seen others that don't look much different than the Big 5. Caveat Emptor.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #24  
When they ask for my phone number I give them the Hollywood # 555-1234. They still input it, but with a smile.

I would give them 8675309 -and if they have any questions to ask for (Jenny)

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #26  
:laughing:

A new one for me, but I'm a bluegrass fan.:)

Steve

Legend has it, the real owner of that phone # had to ask for a new one..... too many drunks calling late at night...

Rgds, D.

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #27  
The bank might be right in demanding no third party check deposits, and cash traceability,,

As far as checks, the bank wants the capability of ripping the money out of YOUR account if there is an issue with the check.
Far too often there is an issue with a check,

Cash,,?? If the bank is caught laundering drug $$$$,,,, the bank becomes an accessory in the crime,,,

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #28  
If cash is crowded out, then all transactions would be traceable. ...

Bingo, you have the right answer. It is all about the ability to trace transactions and the control that goes with it. My credit Union has required ID for years for deposits. WHY?

I could see having many cash transactions that represented the most of the value of an account raising some red flags. But for the vast majority of people, cash is NOT being deposited in large amounts, yet people are being treated as if this is some how criminal.

The fact of the matter is that Americans ARE tracked by their transactions. Credit cards are used for many/most transactions for many people. Those transactions not only show what you buy and for how much but WHERE you buy, which is often a physical location AT a given time thus your spending tracks you. If one is living overseas, one has to file a tax form even if you do not owe taxes. Some non US banks do not want accounts of US citizens because of the risk from being hit with US penalties for non compliance. Can't blame them really. Many US citizens do not have a physical home but live in RVs or boats that are on the move. To have mailing addresses they use a couple of different mail forwarding companies but some banks are starting to refuse these addresses because of Federal regulations. So if you don't have physical location to live that is not a post office box, or something similar, it is getting more difficult to live because of Federal regulations.

The penalties for failure to file a tax form while overseas with overseas accounts allows the Federal government to take HALF of the amount of the money that was in an account during a period of time. Without a court order. Because of these regulations US citizens who have moved overseas are renouncing their citizenship. Funny thing, ok, it is not funny, but it costs a fair amount of money to renounce US citizenship. :rolleyes:

Later,
Dan

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #29  
I'm amazed people actually use BofA and WellsFargo......

/ Is this a war on cash or a war on privacy? Or both? #30  
The bank might be right in demanding no third party check deposits, and cash traceability,,

As far as checks, the bank wants the capability of ripping the money out of YOUR account if there is an issue with the check.
Far too often there is an issue with a check,

Cash,,?? If the bank is caught laundering drug $$$$,,,, the bank becomes an accessory in the crime,,,

Valid points..... but realistically, any significant criminal exploit ends up with carloads (as in RRoad cars) of cash.

The personal amounts people are talking about in this thread are often in the range of several hundred to no more than low or mid-single-digit thousand dollars.

So...... "Organized Crime" or "National Security" can start to look like beating up on the (innocent) peasants "Just Because".....

I had one big 5 bank here demanding to know the reason for a small cheque issued to me by another Big 5 bank. Small, as in sub $300.00. When I pressed for an answer, the best I got was "We are trying to protect our clients, sometimes people get issued falsified cheques" - total BS in other words..... They had absolutely no reason to be asking for that information.

I understand and definitely expect a certain amount of Due Diligence if I walk in the door with a 6 figure cheque, or a small one from "Publishrz Kleering Howse", but there was absolutely no red flags to the situation I just described.

Rgds, D.