Is this thing worth the effort?

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #1  

whitedogone

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4120
My buddy gave me this canopy that he used to have on a yanmar. I was thinging about fixing it up and useing it on my JD 4120. What do ya think? It is going to need the "legs" of the mount remade because the ones on there won't work the wider u bolts required on the JD Rops. It's also going to need some fiberglass repair. Also, the gelcoat is cracked in a handful of places. I did pick up a fiberglass repair kit...but I'm having second thoughts about spenting the time on it. BTW, it's a Tractop....anybody hear of them?

IMG_5375.JPG

IMG_5378.JPG

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #2  
It certainly looks do-able to me. More "time-and-effort" than money should make you a very nice top.

BUT,.....naturally,...it all depends entirely on what the job is worth to YOU? I know some who would scrap it and buy something all shiny and new because they have the money.

I know some fellas that would look at it like the opportunity of a lifetime,..and when they were done with it,..man it would be beautiful. Rebuilt to fit their tractor, patched, sanded, polished and painted, with working lights all wired up and even a dashboard hanging from the ceiling with switches and indicator lights and yes, maybe even a radio and a cooling fan up there too.

BUT,...ah,..yes,... depends on what it's all worth to "YOU" !!

Best wishes to you, ..no matter which way you go!
CHEERS!
. . tug

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #4  
I would say go for it. there is nothing more pleasing then something you did yourself. zman

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #5  
If it was me, and I wish it was, I'd repair it, modify it and install it.

Eddie

/ Is this thing worth the effort?
Well, I guess I like a chalenge. I ground the gelcoat off the one large cracked area and patched it with the repair kit. I've got a few smaller spots to do that on as well. What do you do where the gelcoat is cracked? Also, I will be painting it deere green and was wondering if I should do the underside green as well. Does anybody know where I can get some of the welting (I think that's what it's called) to put around the lip at the bottom.

/ Is this thing worth the effort?
Well, just to update. I got the fiberglassing done and primed the fiberglass. I had to mod the brackets because the u bolts on my ROPS are wider. I mig welded some pieces on the sides of the orginal brackets and filled in the old holes while I was at it.

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #8  
I'm glad to see you tackle it. Thats what I would have done also. Like I always say........ 'If its free, its for me!'

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #9  
Looking forward to seeing it hanging and making a shadow. (and keeping the rain off also)
David from jax

/ Is this thing worth the effort? #10  
Well, I guess I like a chalenge. I ground the gelcoat off the one large cracked area and patched it with the repair kit. I've got a few smaller spots to do that on as well. What do you do where the gelcoat is cracked? Also, I will be painting it deere green and was wondering if I should do the underside green as well. Does anybody know where I can get some of the welting (I think that's what it's called) to put around the lip at the bottom.

I would consider coating the underside with something like a spray on undercoat, usually this can be bought in DIY spray cans at auto parts stores, and yes... wallyworld too.
That type of undercoating would help deaden the sound that will be created when the canopy vibrates, and the engine will make it vibrate some.

You should be able get the trim material from most reupholstery shops.