Buying Advice Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand?

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #11  
I just have a picture in my head of an 8000 pound, crash box tractor being piloted by an inexperienced operator, who drives a Camry with power steering, brakes and an auto tranny, inside a wooden structure full of people and animals. It's not a pretty picture.

This sounds like a job for a small, light ag tractor, like a BX or B series, or similar from another brand, as others have mentioned. Or maybe a skid steer, which I think were developed for clearing chicken manure out of barns with very tight space constraints.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand?
I don't see where anyone has mentioned it but 4WD is nice for loader work (and power steering is a must) and safer for going up/down inclines. 2WD could get an inexperienced operator in trouble going up/down hills.

In my eyes, 4WD is a very important feature on a tractor with a front end loader. Loading the bucket up with wet straw and manure transfers the weight over the front axle, removing a lot of weight/traction from the rear axle. A light rear end/loss of traction causes the wheels to spin(ruts). On a manicured surface (riding arena) repeated wheel spins makes for major restoration projects. You could load the tires(might already be?), add wheel weights(costly), and carry a heavy implement off the back end of the tractor but, that all makes for a longer heavier tractor maneuvering on a manicured riding stable surface. No hills to worry about here, however wet conditions have persisted well into the summer. 4WD is a very important feature to have navigating a pasture to dump buckets of manure/straw. 4WD is also a major consideration for traction while snow plowing. 2WD tractors benefit by adding rear tire chains however the chains would need to be installed and removed for each snow event so as not to tear up the riding arena surface.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #13  
I have have similar situation, maintaining the fields and landscaping with volunteers at a high school.
Most people will not drive a geared tractor, forget about a skid steer for most people also.
With multiple drivers ,the equipment will get beat hard from inexperienced operators or people in a rush.
Loaded wheels are a must for inexperienced operators.
Who will maintain equipment?

Who will maintain equipment?

Umm.......excellent question. To my knowledge, monies for repairs/regular maintenance are not available at this time. Is there plans to set up a fund? I don't know. The fundraising goal is for the purchase price of the Ford 345c tractor. The rescue is registered 501(c)3 non-profit and relies entirely on donations. The tractor fundraiser is set up outside the normal donation channels for the rescue by an incredibly caring volunteer at the rescue that is to be commended not only for her work at the rescue but also for her efforts to acquire a much needed tractor for the barn. Is there a heavy equipment diesel mechanic available to maintain this large industrial/construction tractor onsite? Yet to be seen.

I forsee (sooner or later) only one piece of major equipment (Tractor w/front end loader) at the barn. That tractor needs to have great utility, to accomplish a variety of tasks. Another task at the rescue is grass mowing. A compact-utility-tractor (cut) with a readily & easily, quick disconnect type front end loader with either a 3 point rear-end finish mower and/or rough cut mower is a highly desirable feature. If at-all-possible working out a tractor purchase with a warranty by a local dealership is high on my list.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #15  
Tractors For Sale In Michigan

I would shy away from any brand that you do not have a dealer close by to get parts, or even more importantly, advice from. Those old Ford tractors are as good as they get for their time, but they are still old tractors that do not compare to anything built since then. I did a quick search for Michigan and kept it under $8,000 and came up with a couple John Deere's that seemed like a lot better option to me.

I'm also curious what the tractor will be used for that is not being done already without owning it? Is it a luxury? Do you have a need for it? Is this a daily need that only owning the tractor can accomplish? If I had $8,000 in my pocket and I needed something done, I would think long and hard if I would be better off buying an older, well used, probably needing a lot of wrenching tractor, renting a brand new one to get the job done and donating my time, or somebody else's time, or hiring it out.

Tractors For Sale In Michigan

I would shy away from any brand that you do not have a dealer close by to get parts, or even more importantly, advice from. Those old Ford tractors are as good as they get for their time, but they are still old tractors that do not compare to anything built since then. I did a quick search for Michigan and kept it under $8,000 and came up with a couple John Deere's that seemed like a lot better option to me.

I'm also curious what the tractor will be used for that is not being done already without owning it? Is it a luxury? Do you have a need for it? Is this a daily need that only owning the tractor can accomplish? If I had $8,000 in my pocket and I needed something done, I would think long and hard if I would be better off buying an older, well used, probably needing a lot of wrenching tractor, renting a brand new one to get the job done and donating my time, or somebody else's time, or hiring it out.

There is a lot of daily mucking of horse stalls, which is handled by volunteers with pitch forks and wheel barrels. Many years ago, the barn was built at the lowest point on the property. :confused: Water management around the barn is an ongoing issue which is in dire need of attention as we speak. So, when the rains come water migrates into the stalls and makes for a heavier wet cleanup, again handled currently by an all volunteer staff of the most amazing, caring people you'll ever want to meet. A front end loader is a necessity to transport the straw/manure from the horse stalls to the outside pasture. Winter temperatures have been brutal in recent years making the 'mucking' chores that much more difficult. Currently there is no timely way to pasture/field process the stall 'muckings'. A Front end loader would be a much more efficient way of transporting out of the barn (vs. wheel barrels) and pasture placement could be processed on a daily basis, composting becomes an option with a front end loader. Grass mowing, snow plowing, horse arena grading/smoothing, transporting heavy materials around the barn (200' long), grading the parking area, ongoing grading of the area outside the barn walls(it's going to take some formal ditches away from the outside walls to direct water away and then regularly maintaining them), pasture fencing repairs. I could forsee a trailerable water tank behind the right sized tractor for watering the animals.

The local dealer I spoke with at the county fair last week, mentioned they have a 30hp HST CUT they rent out that could possibly help the rescue out in the interim.

Last edited:
I have have similar situation, maintaining the fields and landscaping with volunteers at a high school.
Most people will not drive a geared tractor, forget about a skid steer for most people also.
With multiple drivers ,the equipment will get beat hard from inexperienced operators or people in a rush.

The local dealer I spoke with at the county fair last week, mentioned they have a 30hp HST CUT they rent out that could possibly help the rescue out in the interim.

I thought I should address 'HST'. Hydrostatic (HST) transmission is as close to an automatic transmission (similar but different) in a tractor as it gets. There is a forward and reverse pedal coupled with low, (sometimes medium) & high range transmission selections. HST have the easier learning curve and most popular choice for new/inexperienced or multiple operators. As well as more maneuverable in tight spaces with the ease of forward and reverse.

Last edited:
   / Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #18  
Is this the right tractor for these tasks? There is a 96' x 200' barn on 13 acres. The barn has horse stalls lining either side of the 200 foot length. There are pastures on both sides of the barn. The center, open area of the barn is sand & used as a horse riding arena and needs grading on a regular basis. About 12 horses are housed with regular stall cleaning required. All in all, there are 50 to 70 animals from dogs, cats, pigs, goats, sheep, llama's and horses. The barn sits at the low end of the property so water issues on the sandy barn floor are at times an issue.

The property is utilized as an animal rescue, rehab and sanctuary by a wonderful all volunteer group. They are currently fundraising and have been offered this Ford 345c for $8,500. In your opinions does this tractor have the features necessary to be a efficient barn tractor for the tasks at hand? I believe their will be multiple operators learning to operate a tractor once their is one on site. The Ford 345C's were built between 1988 - 1992. Three cylinder diesel, two wheel drive tractors. I don't know any particulars about this Ford 345c. The barn has no other large power equipment. All tasks are handled by an old riding mower for arena dragging and wheel barrels for transporting manure outside the barn. The tractor needs to be a swiss army knife to handle as many tasks as possible, to include snow plowing & manure spreading. At this stage I'd like to focus the discussion on the Ford 345c capabilities in the barn environment. Size, weight, maneuverability, reliability, part support, features, transmission, etc. Thank you....

Compared to something like this? 2001 Kubota BX2200 4x4 Tractor w Loader 22 HP Hydro 60" Mower 1346 Hrs | eBay

1.jpg

Much easier to maneuver and drive, and probably more capable in your environment.

It might be good to provide some more info on the rescue organization - might even raise some donations for it!

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #19  
I agree with the other posters here. I have the "grandfather" of that Ford industrial tractor. I think it would be too much power, weight and size for the application described. Moreover, I wouldn't want someone without at least some experience operating.

/ Is this tractor, the right tractor for the tasks at hand? #20  
The tractor pictured is an excellent machine (my father has a similar one) that is tough, pretty reliable and parts are cheap and easy to come by. But its good for an estate owner or farmer that can do his own wrenching, runs it himself and knows how to use a clutch without wearing it out in a day of loader work. Not a novice machine, as the others have said before.

So - it may be a good thing for the rescue organization to dedicate a few operators and train them on operation and maintenance. I bet a local dealer would be willing to provide this for free with a little advertising. The group should be aware that this machine is going to cost a lot more than their current equipment, so maintenance and fueling as well as an occasional repair should be expected.

I think the group operators from the rescue should go sit in the seats and try them out. See what they are collectively comfortable with. My guess is that the big Ford will be cumbersome and intimidating.