Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #1  

deelowe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota Mx5400
Ohh boy... this has been quite the experience thus far. I was quite happy to finally get a tractor and start putting it to use. Tried it out by moving a bit of dirt and notice a clicking noise. Checked and one of the grease fittings wasn’t greased. No problem. I added some. Then I noticed none of the 3 point hitch fittings had been greased. Then I noticed the fitting on the front right knuckle was broken (not me, tractor was brand new at the time). So they sent me a new fitting and I replaced it and topped off the grease. Then I noticed all of my quick attach pin bolts were like hand tight. Literally 1/2” or more of threads showing. Did a thorough check and assume I’m good....

Today I took on one of my first big projects which involves clearing some of my land. There’s a lot of grapevine, privit and small sweet gums that have taken over the property. So I get to work pushing over some small trees and dragging the box blade/bucket around to clean up the area. Most of the work was in 2wd only using 4wd when needed... then something seems odd... It happens when I’m transporting a very heavy load of bricks on a pallet.

I noticed that I can turn the steering wheel when stopped and the wheels won’t turn sometimes. Almost like it’s slipping. It’s definitely noticeable in the brush where there’s thick top soil and brush on the ground. I also begin to notice it seems to do it some when moving slowly. When shut off, the wheel turns and feels like it’s kind of clicking. Wheels turn a little but not much before the steering wheel slips.

Given the issues I’ve had thus far, I’m worried something is wrong. Am I just paranoid? I definitely don’t trust this dealer at this point given my experience so far...

Thanks for all the help.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue.
HST?Check the fluid level.First thing to starve is the steering.

Yeah hst. Which fluid? I tried searching the manual and can’t figure it out? Checked the rear sight glass by the pto and it looks normal (very small bubble at the top).

Yeah hst. Which fluid? I tried searching the manual and can’t figure it out? Checked the rear sight glass by the pto and it looks normal (very small bubble at the top).
After looking around some more, I’m guessing the steering runs off the same hydraulics as everything else. Did I break something already?

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #5  
I think a call to your dealer is in order. My new MX 5400 is flawless.

Don't be shy; your money, your investment. Dealer needs to hold up his end of the bargain. It's his job...
Ohh definitely not afraid. Just anticipating lots of back and forth if this is the experience thus far. It’s clear the assembly was not done by the most professional of folks.

/ Issues already? New mx5400 steering issue. #9  
First off, the tractors come fully assembled in metal frames, all the selling dealer has to do is put the wheels on and do a once over. so a broken zerk could easily be missed. The onus of your issues are basically on you, you should have done a 'once over' before you ever used the tractor, called a pre use inspection. Something I do every day before I use my tractors even though they are older. I look them over and address anything needed before I go out to the field. Reading and comprehension of your supplied owners manual is a plus.

Far as the steering goes, Kubota uses an orbital steering mechanism that uses the hydraulic oil from the gear pump to actuate the steering rams and typically, a Kubota tractor with a loaded FEL will be hard pressed to move the front tires back and forth when loaded but not moving. It takes some forward or backward movement to move the tires back and forth (steering movement). The hydrostatic steering is just going onto bypass which is perfectly normal and the final resting place of the steering wheel can be anywhere as there is no direct mechanical linkage.

There is no mechanical linkage between the steering rams and the steering wheel. it's all hydrostatic.

Call your dealer and ask him. He will tell you what I just did.

Nothing wrong with your new tractor a little comprehension of the operations manual won't take care of.

First off, the tractors come fully assembled in metal frames, all the selling dealer has to do is put the wheels on and do a once over. so a broken zerk could easily be missed. The onus of your issues are basically on you, you should have done a 'once over' before you ever used the tractor, called a pre use inspection. Something I do every day before I use my tractors even though they are older. I look them over and address anything needed before I go out to the field. Reading and comprehension of your supplied owners manual is a plus.

Far as the steering goes, Kubota uses an orbital steering mechanism that uses the hydraulic oil from the gear pump to actuate the steering rams and typically, a Kubota tractor with a loaded FEL will be hard pressed to move the front tires back and forth when loaded but not moving. It takes some forward or backward movement to move the tires back and forth (steering movement). The hydrostatic steering is just going onto bypass which is perfectly normal and the final resting place of the steering wheel can be anywhere as there is no direct mechanical linkage.

There is no mechanical linkage between the steering rams and the steering wheel. it's all hydrostatic.

Call your dealer and ask him. He will tell you what I just did.

Nothing wrong with your new tractor a little comprehension of the operations manual won't take care of.

Do you know where in the operations manual it explains how the steering should operate? I looked all over and couldn't find anything explaining what you just stated.

I found the issue which led me to checking out the zerks more closely while doing a test ride. The clicking was observed while the delivery guy was here and he said it was normal. I'm a complete novice when it comes to tractors and Kubota, so I took it over to my neighbor a little later who has a very similar model to mine. He helped point out all the issues I've noted here. All told, none of the 3 point hitch fittings, 3 of the loader fittings, and 2 fittings on the under side of the front axle had grease. And of course, we have the one that was broken. I found the issue with the loader bolts while going over the rest in more detail when I got back home.

I don't know what the dealer does and doesn't do in their shop. The assembly manual I received from the dealer shows a much more intensive set of steps than what you've described.