It is coming like a wing of bombers

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
Slow and inevitable. . While news are competing who will paint the most bleak picture - I heard things like 20" of snow by Saturday night - it will not be as bad as they say. It never is.

Actually I wonder, if I am the type of guy who would sit and wait for Katrina till his roof floats off, before he realizes it is really shiny out there. I tend to go in the emergency mood slowly, sometimes very slowly - is it a gift to recognize the right moment to take action or are survivors always those who panic quickly and every time? Just a food for thought.

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #2  
I'm with you I wait and see if there is any truth to the reports. Every time we get a flake in the air they seem to report it as being the worst snowstorm ever. Media loves to hype things up :(

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #3  
Panic is one thing........Prudent swift action is another. To be observant, watch what is really happening with a storm front approaching and make intelligent decisions based upon YOUR interpretation of those conditions is another matter.

Right now, I am watching that same front getting ready to curl it's way across us.
Bringing a series of heavy rain storms onto the already saturated forest. Yes, totally prepared, ditches are cleaned out and burned, berms for diversion of runoff intact, and the gen set gassed up and ready to throw the main breaker.

Short of that...........It's God's work and plan...........Dennis

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #4  
Survivors are them folks that do what they have to do when they have to do it!:D

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #5  
The NWS forecast for Richmond shows 6"-12" maximum Saturday and Sunday. I find the NWS forecast to have less hype than the local TV broadcasters. They aren't in a contest for ratings.:rolleyes:

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #6  
Like the old saying goes.."Bad news sell"
Our so call home town tv station has task force/crew ready to roll when the flakes start piling..gotta read between there hype ;) but in strange way maybe hype good for the ones w/very little common sense which might make it safer for us.

Common sense can save alot of problems.

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers
Well, bring it on. Got a bale of hay for the horse, we have dog food, bread, venison and brandy. We can stay snowed in till the brandy runs dry:)

Since I stayed home today I boiled Parrot Mouth with some baking soda for European mount and cleaned off the meat in the kitchen sink. What a comfort, but wife-the-best-of-all would not like it very much:) Really, house appliances have so much use when the wife is not around:

• oven - bake Cerama paint on a gun part
  • dishwasher - perfect for deep cleaning of old military gun stocks
  • dryer - with a shoe it will tumble deer skin soft
:D:D

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #8  
For my area, the actual snow fall total mostly (80%-90%) seems to be on the low end of the estimate. Once in a while it exceeds the upper range of the forecast. It can vary alot across a region with different elevations. Nearness of the sea coast always plays a role too.

It is hard to see how 20" of snow could be deadly :) unless a traffic accident claims you. So, it may be a case of weathering a storm in relative comfort - or not - as opposed to surviving.

Generators, woodstoves, canned goods, water, candles, etc. are all things that make snow storms and related power outages easier to weather. It's amazing how many people don't even cover the basics, then they are on the news about how awful the storm was. Well, Duh.

Of course, Prokop floating away on a rooftop after a huricane is a different scenario altogether.
Dave.

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #9  
Czechsonofagun.
Oven..warm welding rods cookie sheet pan.
Mrs. high price vaccum cleaner to clean shop.

/ It is coming like a wing of bombers #10  
Prokop,

A bread pan is unbeatable for soaking small parts.
Dave.