IT manuals vs. JD

/ IT manuals vs. JD #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Are the IT shop manuals any good?

Are the photos decent or do they look like they came off a 40 yr. old Xerox machine?

I don't expect to do anything serious like overhauling the engine or transmission, but I will do most of the maintenance & fix little things as they come up. I might go as far as replacing the clutch if it needs it, but that's about as technical as I might get.

Given the price difference of about $75, is it worth it to go for the JD manuals??

The tractor is a 770.

Thanks for your input.

/ IT manuals vs. JD #2  
Go to your dealer and order the CD-ROM. It covers the 670, 770, 790, 870, 970 and 1070. The price is $48.

The manual number is TM1470.

This CD-ROM manual is very comprehensive and I recommend it 100% even if you don't plan to do most of your own maintenance and repair.

Those after market books, such as IT, just aren't complete enough IMHO. That shows in the cost difference.

The only downside of the Deere CD-ROM manual is a lack of an hyperlinked Table of Contents. It uses Adobe Reader to view. If you have Adobe Acrobat you can create your own Table of Contents, including hyperlinks.

/ IT manuals vs. JD #3  
The IT manuals are very basic, I purchased one for my JD 1530 and ended up buying the JD manuals anyway. My opinion, don't waste money on IT, get the real thing.

/ IT manuals vs. JD #4  
I have bought a whole pocket full of manuals on Ebay. I've always looked for the OEM JD books but after several months of waiting for the technical repair manual for the Yanmar engines; I grabbed an IT version.

The IT book is just OK if that's all that's available.... Much better to stick with the JD OEM if at all possible.

I haven't picked up the CD version just yet. I'm one of those guys that likes to take the book with me out into the shop while I'm working on something. (Mostly 'cause I can't remember what the h**l the color coding of the wire or were the h**l the hydraulic line goes to....!) So, I'm out there like a chef (short-order slinger, really) --- always paging back to the schematics.

Could print out the pages from the CD and take them to the shop; I guess.... Nah, I gotta make things harder for myself!

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Akfish