It's always something ;-)

/ It's always something ;-) #1  

RADIUM

Gold Member
Tractor
NEW HOLLAND 2420
Greetings everyone it's been a while just got done oil changing my tractor T. 2420 today and ran into a little bit of a snag, while trying to remove the oil filter it pretty much seized on so out come the pliers large pliers and I proceeded with its removal I noticed as I started to remove the filter the proper way of course the liquid cooling core or whatever you want to call the oil cooler was moving in the same direction as the filter. Now of course I didn't apply a lot of pressure, as a matter of fact I usually only hand tighten filters I'm quite confused why it was so hard to remove any way after a few choice words and smashed knuckles on that loader she finally gave in and loosened I proceeded to remove it by hand but notice the cooler was loose and could move clockwise and counterclockwise a few inches, has anyone else come across this or has something stripped inside the block? I checked online and found the parts apparently there's a gasket behind the oil cooler, I'm wondering if I should change that gasket now or wait to see if it leaks, oh I'm getting ahead of myself I did tighten the bolt inside while the filter was removed I straightened the oil cooler out and tighten in place, do you think I should worry or will it be all right doesn't seem to be leaking after I had started the tractor everything appears okay just curious . I guess my main concern is the gasket cork or rubber if it's rubber it will be fine but any other material I might have messed it up moving the cooler around I'm just kind of nervous don't want to be out in the field and have a leak you know what that'll be like oh joy anyway I appreciate any input if anyone's had any experience with these oil coolers coming loose thanks again take care

/ It's always something ;-) #2  
That has happened to me on other models and I have never had a leak after retightening the cooler.
Do you lube the seal on the filter? Sounds as if you may have forgotten last time.

/ It's always something ;-)
Thanks for the quick reply I was getting a little nervous I have some work in the fields tomorrow, I put an oil film on the seal I'm very careful on how I do things must've just have seized up from being outside and rainwater and ice and snow melting and a little longer between changes due to the synthetic oil that new Holland 0w-40 is fantastic did not use a bit from October till now I'm running it year-round now a little pricey but I believe it's worth it especially after some of the -15 below days in upstate New York this last winter she kicked right over no oil light no banging and tapping nice and quiet. I'm glad to hear someone else had this kind of experience thanks again