I've been debating on doing this.

/ I've been debating on doing this. #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Like some of you, my parking is limited for the new L2501. I have to fold the rops to put it under cover using a shed over hang off the side of the barn, Fits ok then. No, there is no room in the barn and the door/barn is still not high enough. I have been debating on the method of cutting off the nuts that the retaining bolt goes through. I wish that Kubota in all their wisdom would not make these so dang hard to remove and fold. It seems to me that more people, in this situation with a garage etc, would actually take time to raise the rops for use, if it were easier to remove/reposition said bolt. I guess I will have to grind off the nuts and use the heavy pins that slide through and have the retaining clip on the end. I have not been using the rops since folding it and that is very bad using an fel/cutting hills etc. Is this the only solution to this equation? Thanks. I pretty much have conciseness about getting into a bad situation because of the old 8N that I've had for years. Before someone says something, I am not going to screw that stupid bolt in and out constantly as I put the tractor under cover when finished with it and that bolt is a royal pain to remove each time. :confused2:

I am also curious if other makes of tractor are this much of a pain in the behind to perform this task?

Whoops, I meant to put this under owning/operating section. :ashamed:

/ I've been debating on doing this. #2  
Do you have a cordless impact? If so, just buy a couple grade 8 frame bolts (mine were 5/8-18 American thread) grease the threads good and use the impact to zip them in and out. I have to fold mine down to fit it in my shop and it only took a couple of times dealing with the factory bolts B4 I knew something had to change. I got grade 8 frame bolts with the flanged head. Don't skimp here!

/ I've been debating on doing this. #3  
I rarely lower mine, but I figured that if I ever needed to do it frequently, I'd buy the right size tap and die, and clean up the threads on both the threaded boss and the stud. I have no idea why they are so tight. Lubing helped quite a bit, but still there seems like way more interference than there should be.

/ I've been debating on doing this. #4  
buy a bottle of anti sieze. Its a graphite paste and a must on bolts you want to remove from time to time.

/ I've been debating on doing this. #5  
My L3560 is a year old.

I have to raise/lower ROPS to store tractor in the garage.

Pin/bolts have worn in over the first year and are now easy to spin in/out.

/ I've been debating on doing this. #6  
On my old b7800 I dremeled out the threatd on the nuts welded on the rops and then the bolts would just slide through and I would use the existing set up with clip pins.

It was simple and I figured if I ever wanted toput it back to threading bolts through again, all I have to do is weld new nuts on.

I left the orginal nuts on because I felt that they added more rigidity to the rops at the pin point in case of roll over

I got the idea from my then newer b3200, which did come stock with just pins that slid through without having to thread on.

/ I've been debating on doing this.
Thanks fellows. Some good ideas on here! :thumbsup:

I think before "modifying" anything, I will try the grade 8 bolts idea. I have an almighty 1/2" air impact that will zip the bolts in and out in a jiffy. :D

Kubota failed on this issue for sure. :confused: Th L2501 is a new model tractor introduced last year so they did it this way on purpose. Take heed Kubota! :mad:

/ I've been debating on doing this. #8  
My thoughts:. Yes some other tractor use pins not the threaded bolts..Yes the bolts/nuts get easier after using them a bit. On my old L3400hst I had to put the rops down/up ever time I used it. It became a simple habit, and did not really take all that long to do. I did use a spray on lube of course (fluid film) to help make it easier. I did think about grinding off the threads at first, but after a while, it just didn't seem like a big deal and I left it stock.

I built a barn with an overhead door my tractor (Kioti now) clears with ease, and put on a canopy (really worthwhile to have) problem solved.:)

Attachments

• 083112 009.jpg
    083112 009.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 090812 009.jpg
    090812 009.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 083112 008.jpg
    083112 008.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 131
   / I've been debating on doing this. #9  
Better double check the threads first. I found it odd that mine were American threads here and the rest seems to be metric.

/ I've been debating on doing this. #10  
Thanks fellows. Some good ideas on here! :thumbsup:

I think before "modifying" anything, I will try the grade 8 bolts idea. I have an almighty 1/2" air impact that will zip the bolts in and out in a jiffy. :D

Kubota failed on this issue for sure. :confused: Th L2501 is a new model tractor introduced last year so they did it this way on purpose. Take heed Kubota! :mad:

Keep in mind it's just an L3200 with less HP and some minor tweaks. I bet the ROPS is unchanged, like 95% do the rest of the tractor. And it may be the same as the generation before (L2800, etc).