J2023 cracked muffler

/ J2023 cracked muffler #1  

Blstr88

Silver Member
Tractor
J2023H
Been hearing a rattling under the hood so when I went looking I found this...anyone else seen this happen?

Ive owned the tractor for just about 3 years now (only 94 hours on it though) so I think its safe to assume the 5-year factory warranty will cover this? Planning to load it up and trailer it over to the dealer on Monday. Pretty sad to see the muffler is made cheaply enough to crack like this...if it werent covered under warranty its about $180 (plus shipping) to order.

87CBDF2B-5090-4C51-B0AF-EA08ADC9A79C_zpssarkib0i.jpg

/ J2023 cracked muffler #2  
I had it happen on my xj2025h. The weld on mine had broke where the pipe was welded to the muffler. The dealer covered it under warranty.

/ J2023 cracked muffler #3  
Same thing happened to mine, but it was from the mounting bolt vibrating lose. Check the mounting bolt down by the power steering pump. I welded it back & my dealer sent me a check for my time. It has held up fine for 3 years.

/ J2023 cracked muffler
Thanks for the replies. I dropped it off at the dealer on Monday so we'll see what he says. Hopefully LS beefed up the replacement mufflers a bit...Im blown away how thin and chinsy it feels.

/ J2023 cracked muffler #5  
Same thing happened to my 2023. Thing kept getting louder and louder and soon started sounding like a straight pipe. Warranty covered it.

/ J2023 cracked muffler #6  
There really should be some gussets on that, from the base out to a cradle strap on the bottom. Even it if was built from twice as thick material, the vibrations will cause stress cracks in the weakest area, which appears to be the feed tube. Pretty small area to be supporting all that muffler.

/ J2023 cracked muffler #8  
Looking for some advice from the folks that have had this happen. I have been noticing a rattle at a certain RPM for the last few months. Today I opened up the hood and found that the muffler was cracked just like you described above. My tractor is a New Holland Boomer 20......same tractor as the LS 2023 I'm pretty sure. So I call the dealer and its not covered. A new one was 108$ plus shipping but he told me that they know its a problem and the new ones are beefed up. The new one arrived today and it looks exactly like the cracked one, no additional gussets anywhere that I can see. I am planning to get my broken one welded for a spare. I was thinking of adding a rubber washer on the downtube mount but really don't know if that will help, Any thoughts or just bolt the new one on and hope for the best?

Edit....tractor is 3.5 years old, 220 hours

Thanks
Markmuffler1.jpgmuffler2.jpgmuffler3.jpg

/ J2023 cracked muffler #9  
I would think adding some support to the new one would be better then welding up the old one for a spare. Even just adding a 1"x1/4" strap from the flange to the far side of the muffler will take the wiggle out of the muffler at low RPMs. Beefing it up might just be a thicker gauge steel for the muffler can but the thicker metal will still work harden over time if there is any flex.

Just curious... how many of the 220 hours do you think are with the engine under 1300 rpm?

/ J2023 cracked muffler #10  
I would think adding some support to the new one would be better then welding up the old one for a spare. Even just adding a 1"x1/4" strap from the flange to the far side of the muffler will take the wiggle out of the muffler at low RPMs. Beefing it up might just be a thicker gauge steel for the muffler can but the thicker metal will still work harden over time if there is any flex.

Just curious... how many of the 220 hours do you think are with the engine under 1300 rpm?

Thanks for the reply, to answer your question the bulk of the hours have been just above idle. This is my first diesel and I thought low RPM was a good thing. I always had plenty of power for what I was doing at a very low RPM. Now that I have been reading on this forum I find that is not really a good thing. Are you thinking there is more vibration at a lower RPM that may have contributed to the crack? I did first notice the rattle at a low RPM and it went away when I revved it up a bit. When I first heard the rattle I thought something was loose and it took me a while to track it down.