Jacking front end of JD950 off the ground.

/ Jacking front end of JD950 off the ground. #1  

timpoke3

Tractor
John Deere 950
I need advice on raising the front of my JD950. The manual says to hoist the front end with a chain around the the front bracket (which the counterweights hang on). So if it's ok to hoist the tractor from this bracket,would it be safe to jack the tractor up with this bracket?

/ Jacking front end of JD950 off the ground. #2  
With either using a jack or chain hoist it puts the same upward pressure on bracket only the method is different, the actual operation is the same...

Dale

/ Jacking front end of JD950 off the ground.
With either using a jack or chain hoist it puts the same upward pressure on bracket only the method is different, the actual operation is the same...

Dale
Thanks Dale. That's what I wanted to hear (see).

/ Jacking front end of JD950 off the ground. #4  
What are you trying to work on once it's lifted?

What are you trying to work on once it's lifted?
I need to check the front end wheels and and probably replace some of the tie rod ends. The steering is extremely sloppy.I may replace the tires and tubes as well. I am hoping I can do all of this one side at a time.

/ Jacking front end of JD950 off the ground. #6  
My Ford has a similar bracket to hold the font axle. I've jacked the tractor up many times under that bracket. If it can hold the weight of the tractor on axles, it can hold a jack.

Front Axle.jpg

My Ford has a similar bracket to hold the font axle. I've jacked the tractor up many times under that bracket. If it can hold the weight of the tractor on axles, it can hold a jack.

View attachment 693581
I think my 950 axle is a little different than your Ford. My axle is a piece of rectangular stock. The left and right knuckles go inside of the rectangular stock. And I may have to replace the bushings inside of the knuckles. Which means I have to take them off of the tractor. I don't know if that rectangular stock can support the weight of the tractor.