James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #332  

Hubble Spots a Titanic Stellar Collision That Rattles Space and Time​

TOPICS:Hubble Space TelescopeNASANeutron StarSpace Telescope Science InstituteUC Berkeley

By NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center November 20, 2022

Two Neutron Stars Colliding
This is an artist’s impression of two neutron stars colliding. The smashup between two dense stellar remnants unleashes the energy of 1,000 standard stellar nova explosions. In the aftermath of the collision, a blowtorch jet of radiation is ejected at nearly the speed of light. The jet is directed along a narrow beam confined by powerful magnetic fields. The roaring jet plowed into and swept up material in the surrounding interstellar medium. Credit: Elizabeth Wheatley (STScI)

Over 299,000,000 meters a second — an ultra-fast jet blasting from a star crash.​

Neutron stars are the surviving “trash-compacted” cores of massive stars that exploded. Despite weighing more than our Sun, they would fit inside New York City. At this unimaginable density, a single teaspoon of surface material would weigh at least 4 billion tons on Earth.
If that doesn’t make your mind spin, just imagine what happens when two of these condensed cannon balls collide head-on. They ripple the very fabric of time and space in a phenomenon called gravitational waves, which can be measured by detectors on the ground on Earth.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #333  
That's a cartoon. :ROFLMAO:

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #335  
The artist should have added "Pew! Pew!" sounds to it also for the laser beam shooting out. 🤪 I do get a kick out of these artists impressions of things we can't see. They are very creative, but of course they really have no connection to reality either.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #336  
The artist should have added "Pew! Pew!" sounds to it also for the laser beam shooting out. 🤪 I do get a kick out of these artists impressions of things we can't see. They are very creative, but of course they really have no connection to reality either.
22D88035-0CEE-41CE-BD45-0A6041C74A6F.jpeg

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #337  
Just kidding.

I'm really enjoying the actual images the telescope is sending back.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #338  
Oh yeah. They are incredible. I especially like the comparisons with the older telescopes for the same image field. It is astounding the resolution and power of this new Webb telescope.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #339  
One of the YT channels I watch is Dr. Becky, and astrophysicist from the UK, and in a recent video she talked about the initial planning for the successor to the Hubble that is tentatively being called the Carl Sagan Observatory. Initial specs are for it to be a 100 meter segmented mirror like the JWST, not sure how they're gonna get that folded up to fit on a rocket, probably take multiple launches and assembly in orbit.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #340  
One of the YT channels I watch is Dr. Becky, and astrophysicist from the UK, and in a recent video she talked about the initial planning for the successor to the Hubble that is tentatively being called the Carl Sagan Observatory. Initial specs are for it to be a 100 meter segmented mirror like the JWST, not sure how they're gonna get that folded up to fit on a rocket, probably take multiple launches and assembly in orbit.

I had to process that.... 100 meter? WOW! That's huge.