James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #31  
I don't care if we paid for it or not ;). It was just funny how when someone is so into something they think that almost 10 billion dollars is nothing. Anything for space!!!

I make the same argument about my kid's travel soccer league cost so I guess it is all relative.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #32  
I don't care if we paid for it or not ;). It was just funny how when someone is so into something they think that almost 10 billion dollars is nothing. Anything for space!!!

I make the same argument about my kid's travel soccer league cost so I guess it is all relative.
You need to watch the movie "Don't Look Up". It's sort of a comedy about a very serious situation. We watched it last night on our Roku. Wife was driving so I'm not sure which service. :)

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #33  
Temperature data is online now.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #34  
Temperature data is online now.
I expected larger variants hot versus cold. In the "reads" it states they expect hot temps of 230F and low temps of -345F once in orbit. I wonder why it's going to change that much from where they are now? Must be still getting heat from Earth?

We've lost considerable forward speed over the past 24hrs as well.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #35  
Our knowledge of the universe is paramount to our long term success as a specie on this planet.
I'm all for the telescope, but... our success as a species on Earth is more likely tied to problems going on here, not in space.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #36  
I'm all for the telescope, but... our success as a species on Earth is more likely tied to problems going on here, not in space.
We will not extinct ourselves here. "Mother Nature" will take care of that. That's where our knowledge of space might become critically important.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #37  
I expected larger variants hot versus cold. In the "reads" it states they expect hot temps of 230F and low temps of -345F once in orbit. I wonder why it's going to change that much from where they are now? Must be still getting heat from Earth?

I'm thinking that when the moon icon is showing that it is in the shadow of the earth so it isn't getting heat from the sun much. That would be one way to control the heat until it can get the shields up.

Orbit - Webb/NASA

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #38  

The heat differential being spoken of is one side of the sun shield stack vs the other side.
Eric.

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #39  
The heat differential being spoken of is one side of the sun shield stack vs the other side.
Eric.
Sunlight side versus dark side? Or that's how I interpret the data?

/ James Webb Space Telescope begins historic mission #40  
A solar farm/wind farm starts paying off who?

Our knowledge of the universe is paramount to our long term success as a specie on this planet.
maybe what he is saying is that solar and wind investments are paying back right away into the grid. also see that as keeping some usage from the grid being needed.
Cant see any payback in our time from the telescope. though.... its going to ( i hope) be interesting data