JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #1  

JD 1140

Tractor
JD 1140
Hi Everyone,
Recently purchased Jd 1140
Hydraulic are working fine But seems to have a knocking sound from pump when 3pl is full down. Also shaft between motor and pump moves back n forth while spinning ( Cant post a video)
Unknown history on tractor but the hydraulic screen, filter and oil were sweaty clean.

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #2  
Welcome to TBN
1st thing to check is for wear in pump drive components that you stated move back n forth.

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise
Thanks Jim, I will check free play in drive shaft , I do have the full workshop manual so probably a good place to start is to read that.
Cheer Ben

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #4  
Remember that your clutch release work on your thrustbearings in your engine.
Loosen the coupler between your pump and the crank...depress your clutchpedal so that the crank can move forward and by keeping the pedal in adjust the coupler to the rear and tighten the bolt. That will stop the pump from wear inside the pump !

Remember that your clutch release work on your thrustbearings in your engine.
Loosen the coupler between your pump and the crank...depress your clutchpedal so that the crank can move forward and by keeping the pedal in adjust the coupler to the rear and tighten the bolt. That will stop the pump from wear inside the pump !
Another Clue for those who understand hydraulics more then me is the Loud knocking Noise only happens when there is No load on pump, when activating steering or lifting 3pl no noise , soon as 3pl is at bottom or top it starts knocking immediately.

Next Hint, lowering or raising 3pl make engine slightly labour and I can hear a slight hissing sound in trans under seat like a leak or valve?

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #7  
Remove the 3pt and replace the valve o-rings. Remember to adj those valves to the correct neutral range !

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #8  
Remove the 3pt and replace the valve o-rings. Remember to adj those valves to the correct neutral range !
With hyd oil at operating temp, engine operating, 3 pt raised look inside open hyd filler hole behind seat for moving, misting oil. Moving, spraying oil indicates leaking 3pt control valves & seals.

Thanks, I had checked that but not sure if I had 3 pl up or not

/ JD 1140 Hydraulic Pump noise #10  
Up or down does not matter as it is a close center sisteem .as you start it wil start spraying oil.