JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks #1  

miclambe

Tractor
John Deere 2020
Question
My JD 2020 started leaking profusely from behind the Steering Shaft Arm recently. Thanks to this forum I was able to isolate the fault to the seal, I thought… I replaced the seal which did appear damaged and not a JD part.

When I started it it appeared fixed until I used it a bit. Then it started leaking again, this time coming around the cap screw from the seal area surrounding the Steering and Yoke Shaft? I’m pretty sure I didn’t damage the seal and it is a JD part. The leaking seems to be only as I turn the steering wheel. Is it possible the pressure is too high?

Thanks for any ideas on troubleshooting…

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks #2  
Welcome to TBN
Find a way to determine what the pressure is so you have more info. I'd suspect the seal may still be the problem.
What is the part number for the seal?

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks #3  
Is your question related to the one addressing the cover plate that was leaking?

Did you replace the adjustor when you replaced the seal?

Does this link to a power steering rebuild help any?

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks
The seal number was AL28553 and I also replaced the gasket on the cover on the other side. I’m not sure where the “adjuster” would be but I didn’t replace anything else other than the cap screws on both sides. I read down through the thread but it seems to more of a steering column rebuild than the problem I am having?

Thank you for the thoughts and ideas.

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks #5  
Welcome to this forum
Was your 2020 built for sales in N America or European countries? Hyd stand-by pressure factory setting was 2250 psi. You can check stand-by pressure by attaching 5000 psi gauge to correct male hyd breakaway tip then insert tip into breakaway coupler. Move scv lever correct direction to pressurize the gauge. Early model 2020 built for sales in N America had open-center power steering.

As far as I understand the US. Data plate number is NT 5R1C 026025 T.
Should make it an open center. I’ve only had the tractor about a month and as far as I know it was not leaking before this happened. Thought maybe I had overfilled the transmission fluid because it was on the high side after I changed the fluid.
Thank you.

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks #7  

Attachments

• 2020 deere.jpg
    2020 deere.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 36
Yes, is it possible that it’s in backwards?

/ JD 2020 Power Steering Leaks #9  
You can tell us, when you change it out. ;);)