Comparison JD 2025r and JD 955

/ JD 2025r and JD 955 #1  

jd870

Silver Member
Tractor
JD870,JD X320,MF1529
I am planning on looking at a new JD 2025r, are these comparable to the JD 955. ?

/ JD 2025r and JD 955 #2  
I am planning on looking at a new JD 2025r, are these comparable to the JD 955. ?

Probably close, I looked at them a while back, the Massey 1526 had my attention over the 2025 because it has three range instead of two with auto throttle.

/ JD 2025r and JD 955 #4  
It's interesting that this topic surfaces today. I bought the new 2025r in April 2019 after 600 trouble free hours on my 1026r. I just thought it was time to trade along with the new warranty and I liked the larger frame of the 2025r. After a couple of initial issues the tractor has been great since. But I was thinking about the progress, or lack there of, that has been made in the last 30 years.

In 1989 I purchased a new 955 shortly after is was released. This was after owning two previous 855 tractors that I thought were great. In 1989 we had a tractor that could mount and operate front, mid and rear implements all at the same time. The 70a loader was very good design and was truly a quick attach loader. The 60" mid mount mower (a 72" was available) was not obviously a drive over deck so you had to slide it out but was pretty easy in concrete. It was a little more difficult on gravel or dirt but decent. The quality of the cut on the 60" deck was excellent. The three point hitch operation was really no different to what have today. I had the 47" two stage snow blower which in my view is vastly superior to the new blowers. I have the 54" on my 2025r with the plastic fan and it is a "wimp" compare to old blower. All you have to do is watch a youtube video of the older blowers vs the new style and you can see the difference.

So while I really enjoy my 2025r I ask myself what did we achieve in 30 years.

Clearly the new tractors run much cleaner as I remember the old 955 belching a lot of diesel smoke for the first few minutes when cold. The 955 did not turn nearly as short as the 2025r either in 4wd or 2wd. Much progress has been made in this area. The old 955 did not have tilt steering and I think the operators station design is better on the new tractor. The power steering design on the 955 was good but I think the new tractor turns easier but I don't think the difference is much. I had the mid hydraulic option for lifting the mower so the tractor mid mount mower was raised and lowered with the loader control valve. I often times had the mower on and just wanted to use the loader for a few minutes so I just locked the mower into the raised position so I could operate the loader. I always thought this was superior to using the three point hitch control to raise and lower the mower. The disadvantage as I recall is that the mid shaft hydraulic cylinder is still getting oil during loader operation so you lost a tiny bit of front bucket curl pressure. I don't recall it being a real problem however.

So, the question I ponder is the issue of 30 years of progress. Had Deere engineers taken the 955 and refined the MFWD axle, added tilt steering and refined the operators station, added a larger hydraulic pump to get a little more power steering performance, move to LED lights and I think we would be close to what we have today. Having a folding ROPS would be critical and the drive over mower decks that we have today might have required more space under the tractor that was available.

The Yanmar engine in the 955 was bullet proof and Yanmar continues to build excellent diesel engines so I am confident the 2025r engine (which is the same as the 1025r) will perform well for many years and I suspect that we will eventually see these tractors with over 2,000 hours and still going strong.

Maybe the 855 and 955 tractors were just so far ahead of their time that we just didn't know what we had in 1989. I also like the fact that the 655, 755, 855 and 955 were designed and refined in Horicon Wisconsin. The hydrostatic foot control pedals on the 55 series tractors were designed by Wisconsin born and raised folks who wear Sorrel boots in the winter time. There is clearly more room for our big feet. My 2025r and my 4066r were designed by Georgia folks who must wear sandals year around and the spacing is too close between the two pedals. I am constantly bumping the other pedal with my oversized Sorrel boots.

I know my post turned into a bit of a rant but I have fond memories of the 855 and 955 tractors. I don't think a tractor purchaser would regret a nice 855 or 955 that has been take care of. But if the purchaser want to spend a little more the 2025r, with its added features, it will make the buyer quite happy in my opinion.

/ JD 2025r and JD 955
Thanks everyone for the info.

/ JD 2025r and JD 955 #6  
It's interesting that this topic surfaces today. I bought the new 2025r in April 2019 after 600 trouble free hours on my 1026r. I just thought it was time to trade along with the new warranty and I liked the larger frame of the 2025r. After a couple of initial issues the tractor has been great since. But I was thinking about the progress, or lack there of, that has been made in the last 30 years.

In 1989 I purchased a new 955 shortly after is was released. This was after owning two previous 855 tractors that I thought were great. In 1989 we had a tractor that could mount and operate front, mid and rear implements all at the same time. The 70a loader was very good design and was truly a quick attach loader. The 60" mid mount mower (a 72" was available) was not obviously a drive over deck so you had to slide it out but was pretty easy in concrete. It was a little more difficult on gravel or dirt but decent. The quality of the cut on the 60" deck was excellent. The three point hitch operation was really no different to what have today. I had the 47" two stage snow blower which in my view is vastly superior to the new blowers. I have the 54" on my 2025r with the plastic fan and it is a "wimp" compare to old blower. All you have to do is watch a youtube video of the older blowers vs the new style and you can see the difference.

So while I really enjoy my 2025r I ask myself what did we achieve in 30 years.

Clearly the new tractors run much cleaner as I remember the old 955 belching a lot of diesel smoke for the first few minutes when cold. The 955 did not turn nearly as short as the 2025r either in 4wd or 2wd. Much progress has been made in this area. The old 955 did not have tilt steering and I think the operators station design is better on the new tractor. The power steering design on the 955 was good but I think the new tractor turns easier but I don't think the difference is much. I had the mid hydraulic option for lifting the mower so the tractor mid mount mower was raised and lowered with the loader control valve. I often times had the mower on and just wanted to use the loader for a few minutes so I just locked the mower into the raised position so I could operate the loader. I always thought this was superior to using the three point hitch control to raise and lower the mower. The disadvantage as I recall is that the mid shaft hydraulic cylinder is still getting oil during loader operation so you lost a tiny bit of front bucket curl pressure. I don't recall it being a real problem however.

So, the question I ponder is the issue of 30 years of progress. Had Deere engineers taken the 955 and refined the MFWD axle, added tilt steering and refined the operators station, added a larger hydraulic pump to get a little more power steering performance, move to LED lights and I think we would be close to what we have today. Having a folding ROPS would be critical and the drive over mower decks that we have today might have required more space under the tractor that was available.

The Yanmar engine in the 955 was bullet proof and Yanmar continues to build excellent diesel engines so I am confident the 2025r engine (which is the same as the 1025r) will perform well for many years and I suspect that we will eventually see these tractors with over 2,000 hours and still going strong.

Maybe the 855 and 955 tractors were just so far ahead of their time that we just didn't know what we had in 1989. I also like the fact that the 655, 755, 855 and 955 were designed and refined in Horicon Wisconsin. The hydrostatic foot control pedals on the 55 series tractors were designed by Wisconsin born and raised folks who wear Sorrel boots in the winter time. There is clearly more room for our big feet. My 2025r and my 4066r were designed by Georgia folks who must wear sandals year around and the spacing is too close between the two pedals. I am constantly bumping the other pedal with my oversized Sorrel boots.

I know my post turned into a bit of a rant but I have fond memories of the 855 and 955 tractors. I don't think a tractor purchaser would regret a nice 855 or 955 that has been take care of. But if the purchaser want to spend a little more the 2025r, with its added features, it will make the buyer quite happy in my opinion.
Awesome rant, lol. Only a northerner would know Sorrel boots. Thinking of trading my '89 755 in for a 2025R. Thanks for the insight.

/ JD 2025r and JD 955 #7  
I own two 955’s; my son ‘stole’ one. Good rant. The 55 series is a good analog tractor. New Deeres are digital and not serviceable. If you are over 60 I do not recommend new tier 4 type tractors. My 75 years old neighbor was a Farmall guy who traded and sold his way to compact tractors, eventually getting a tier4 Kubota. He sold that at a loss to buy a 3520 Deere(older non digital tractor). He hated the software on the Kubota. Another 80 year old neighbor bought a new 2032 tier 4 after happy years with a Deere 850. His widowed wife later told me he hated the new tractor. So I simply observe if you are an old fart( analog) person stay away from digital new stuff. You won’t understand it nor like it.