JD 2355 checkup.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Included with the farm I purchased was a JD 2355 (1993 vintage). It has less than 1,500 hours on it.

I changed the oil and have monitored the hydraulic fluid (wow, that stuff is tough to see on the dipstick). It has been running well.

I've noticed some fluid weeping on the engine, but not enough to see the drips. When started up at 30 degrees or so, I noticed I had no brakes and the hydraulics were very slow. Once it warmed up, everything returned to normal.

I ran it today, 70 degrees or so, and had hydraulic and brake issues, again. Once it warmed up everything returned to normal. There was quite a bit of smoke coming off the engine for the first 5 minutes of operation but I think that was the weepy fluid burning off. I stopped, checked everything out, as best I know how and then went about bush hogging the fields for the next hour or two.

What should I be checking with regards to the hydraulics and brakes. Could it be something simple?

Additionally, so long as I keep the oil level right, is the weeping a problem that needs immediate attention?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #2  
Where about on the engine is the fluid leaking? It could be coolant, oil or diesel fuel.

As for the hydraulic fluid I would drain it and clean the screen in the bottom of the transmission.

Those are pretty darn reliable tractors. Lots of folks, myself included, consider the 55 series amongst the best tractors Deere ever made.

/ JD 2355 checkup.
Thanks, DT. I'll take another look next time I'm down there and see if I can provide a better description.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #4  
I also agree that JD 55 series tractors are some of the best tractors JD ever built. In fact I've owned a 4255 since '93. Actually brakes aren't actually operated hydraulically by high pressure. The trans pump supplies oil to the brake valve and then hyd oil is used to apply brakes in lieu of brake fluid, I 2nd checking trans sump(parts key 15) screen and I'll also suggest changing hyd filter. I think it would be wise to determine the source of the liquid leak on the engine.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #5  
Change the coolant asap. The corrosion inhibitor will be depleted even though the freeze protection is still acceptable . Otherwise the sleeve will develop pin holes from cavitation.
Transmission oil sump may have condensation . Drain and fill a couple of times .

/ JD 2355 checkup. #6  
Transmission oil sump may have condensation . Drain and fill a couple of times .

b&d
I didn't know presence of condensation in hyd oil was that easy to determine by looking at a computer screen? You must have a lot better eyesight than I do. Have you priced any hyd oil lately?? If you'll notice OP stated tractor had less than 1500 hrs on the speed/hour meter.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #8  
NO I can't see the milky looking oil.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #9  
Since OP mentioned that hydraulic fluid was difficult to see on dipstick, I would assume there is not water contamination. BUT, if fluid has never been changed at near 1500 hours, it would make good sense to change it now since that is the recommended interval and the tractor is old enough that it should be changed. Regardless of contamination, the brakes should not disappear and then come back after running unless there are freezing temperatures involved. Are there any oil leaks around brake valves or lines? When brakes are not working, do the pedals go to the floor? Bo brake pedal work differently when applied individually or together? The leak on the engine should definitely be fixed if causing engine to smoke... could cause a fire if leaking on exhaust.

/ JD 2355 checkup. #10  
Moisture contamination of hyd oil can be determined by performing a "crackle test".