Oil & Fuel JD 3720 Hydro dipstick

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
I have a 2010 JD 3720 and have a hydraulic concern.

I changed the hydro oil and filter according to the manual. The manual says the capacity is 7 gallons of Lo Vis Hygard. When I drained the oil I found I had about 9 gallons drained and when replaced it took 8.5+ gallons to get it to 1/4" below the full level on the dipstick. I don't have anymore oil but it would take another quart to reach the full mark.

I didn't have any attachments or hydro equipment hooked up, it was just the FEL and tractor and the FEL was not operated. Everything operates nicely but it was a concern I had. Lat year I had erratic hydro action and found I had to add 1 gallon to go from the bottom of the hash marks to the full mark, which surprised me because I thought it would be a quart, but ran better after that oil was added.

The question is, is the dipstick the right length? Either the book and internet are wrong or the dipstick is the wrong length. From the end of the dipstick to where it seats on the transaxle is 6 3/4".

Would one of you kind souls measure your dipstick the next time you get out to your tractor for me and let me know.

Chuck

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #2  
lva22748.PNG according to JDParts.

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #4  
I wonder if they changed something in the 2010's? My 2008 3320 took a little over 7 gals just as the manual stated. Last time I checked it was at about the 1/2 way mark.

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #5  
I’ll check the Tech manual tomorrow.

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #7  
Its a big reservoir but can cycle almost twice per minute if you're using the ports.

I had an '86 ford ranger that took 5 qts--just like the manual said.

It was the only engine that reality and manual were the same. I stop one unit (quart gallon pint) before the manual and measure from there.

Don't know how you'd have gotten the wrong dipstick...

Easier to add than remove.

I did the sump and filter on the 3520 two years ago and don't remember the details--I do remember it didn't match the manual.

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #8  
I did note when I changed oil in my 2010, 3520 that it took 1 gallon to go from bottom to top of the hash marks on the dip stick and that I too bought another gallon to top it off.......but didn't note how much more I actually used.
BTW my dipstick measures exactly the same as your's.

Last edited:
   / JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #9  
Is yours a PowrReverser or eHydro? Either way PR shows 6.3 gallons and eHydro shows 6.8 gallons

/ JD 3720 Hydro dipstick #10  
Related, hopefully; my 2009 3720 was acting a bit weird. It occasionally would surge forward a couple inches like it was haunted. It concerned me of course, for safety reasons. Today I happened to check the oil level. It was at the bottom of the hash marks on the dipstick. So I added till it was full (cold). It took five quarts! So that dipstick has quite the range. Im hoping this cures my erratic transmission operation, time will tell. I did use it for an hour after topping it off, but tbe problem always was very intermittent and woulndt always happen any particular day.