Comparison JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #1  

simonsays

Tractor
MF 50EX, Gravely's
So I'm in the market for a utility tractor. Im not stuck on a new one but out here in CA the used machine fetch high $$$. I can't see paying 8-10k less for a 10+ year old machine with +- 1000 hobbs hrs. Not to mention all the big players offer 0% financing for 5 yrs.

I have narrowed it down to Green and Orange. Im looking at the 45 ish HP range. They both have there positives and negatives but they are the two I like the most. Here is the list of my build up:

4x4
R4 tires
loader with 4:1 function
box scraper with top and tilt

I was able to find both in a "rental return" with means they were used in Orchard or Vineyard harvesting towing a trailer(low impact and hrs).

JD 4044M with D170 loader 34900 OTD
Kubota L4701 with LA765 Loader 30200 OTD

My pro and cons as it relates to my situation (ppl may see it different:))

JD

Pros:
Green:D
Power reverser trans (better for hilly land)
little bit more room operators station (I'm 6'4" but 4701 is not bad)
planetary rear end
higher GPM hydraulic pump
500lb heavier

Cons:
Douchey Salesman
Price
no quick attach loader
less PTO HP
plastic hood

Kubota (looking at the HST because power reverser trans not offered)

Pros:
Very cool salesman
Price
0% down
overall power
More PTO power
quick attach loader

Cons:
Lighter weight
HST may not be best

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks

Simon

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #2  
What are you doing with the tractor? Running stuff off the PTO a lot? Pulling implements? Loader work?

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #3  
Actually, HST is much better for hilly land.

And I second the previous question: please describe the needs and expectations. How much will you need to lift. What implements will you be running, and what size would you like?

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701
What are you doing with the tractor? Running stuff off the PTO a lot? Pulling implements? Loader work?
Actually, HST is much better for hilly land. And I second the previous question: please describe the needs and expectations. How much will you need to lift. What implements will you be running, and what size would you like?

I'll be doing a little of everything. The loader with 4:1 will be used to lift heavy downed oak trees..... Flail mower, tiller, disk, post hole and more.

I don't have much experience with HST drive. Multiple salesman have told me about the HST and hills dilemma.... Glad you guys are ringing in. They state it robs power and eliminates the ability to leave in gear while stopped on a hill.

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #6  
I'll be doing a little of everything. The loader with 4:1 will be used to lift heavy downed oak trees..... Flail mower, tiller, disk, post hole and more.

I don't have much experience with HST drive. Multiple salesman have told me about the HST and hills dilemma.... Glad you guys are ringing in. They state it robs power and eliminates the ability to leave in gear while stopped on a hill.

They are absolutely wrong. HST is far better on hills. No clutching required. It will hold place just fine in gear, better than a manual gear tractor.

Also, FYI... 4-in-1 buckets are heavy. You'll want maximum loader capacity to use it effectively. May want to consider stepping up to next size loader

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #7  
   / JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #8  
I would recommend the hst transmission and suggest you consider a regular heavy duty bucket and get a grapple for trees and brush.

As far as brand is concerned both are very good. I would suggest you make sure the tractor you buy is equipped the way you want it. That might mean ordering the tractor in and waiting a month but that is better than compromising before you make the purchase.

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #9  
Bucket + full grapple = 4n1 bucket cost. Unless you are doing finish grading clean up, forget about the 4n1. Just to much $$$$ for a do all attachment that does most things only average. For moving trees, not even a question that a grapple would be better for you.

One other thing, and I don't normally say this, but talk to some other salesmen, because the guys you have talked to obviously don't operate tractors in the real world and sound like salesmen and that's it. A person selling something that they know next to nothing about. :no:

Good luck with your search.

/ JD 4044 VS. Kubota L4701 #10  
I've tried to move logs and brush with a Droit bucket and to be honest you're better off with a pair of forks (and of course an open-bottom or root grapple is WAY easier and faster).
I naively thought that a 4 in 1 made a lot of sense in term of versatility but what I ended up with was just a heavy bucket. For me the only times the 4 in 1 shown was clean-up on a flat area where it could pick up the very last of a pile of loose materials. Just my experience.
On my 17,000lb backhoe the extra weight was not a huge deal but on a 40hp CUT the extra weight might eat up 25-50% of the loader lift capacity.