JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #1  

dwhipple99

Hi Guys, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tractor for maintaining 100 acres in PA. Its about 1/2 open, 1/2 wooded. Plan is to raise some horses and maybe a few cattle. I will use the machine for general purpose tool around the property for grading, material movement, quite a bit of mowing, etc..

I had my heart set on a 4 series but after getting quotes from the JD dealer, I couldn't believe the current pricing.

I asked for quotes on the following:

4052R with Loader, Bucket, and Forks
4066R with Loader, Bucket, and Forks
5065e with Loader, Bucket, and Forks

The 4052 came in at 57K out the door with PA taxes
The 4066 came in at 64K out the door with PA taxes
The 5065 came in at 52K out the door with PA taxes

Clearly the 5 series is allot more machine, and it also seems like the JD guys are pushing me towards that. The discounts offered on the 4 series were < 10% of list which I expected much better. I figured it must be the state of the market.

I hadn't plan to, but now I am going to price Kubota, New Holland, and Massey..

My question is does a 5 series seem like too much machine, will it be too big to be effective for the smaller jobs if I went that way?
Does this pricing align to what others are seeing elsewhere?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #2  
The "e" model 5065 is a budget tractor. have a look at the "R" model to see the differences.
Both the 4*** tractors are premium models. Look at the budget 4*** models to compare apples with apples.
Expect "R" models to have better hydraulic pump capacity for a start.
How useable are the gearboxes on the different tractors?
How many scv's,1,2,3 pair?

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e
Good points. I should have given a little more detail. The two 4 series include HST transmissions and the 5 series includes a Power Reverser Transmission.

I can easily go either way on the transmission, I am fine with the Power Reverser or the HST.

I think the largest job or implement I plan to run is a large bush hog. I would like to run somewhere between an 8' and a 12' batwing. I believe this would require one remote. I will probably also run a post driver for fencing. So I probably won't need more than 1 remote, maybe 2.

I almost feel like the 5 series would be great to have for some of the bigger jobs, but its to large for that compact tractor around the barnyard.

Do you guys feel they need a larger tractor for the big jobs and a smaller tractor (like 1025R to 3 Series) for smaller jobs?

The other question I have is this seem like accurate decent pricing? As I mentioned, I certainly expected more than 8 or 9% off list, but is the market doing this or do I just have a bad dealer?

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #4  
The other question I have is this seem like accurate decent pricing? As I mentioned, I certainly expected more than 8 or 9% off list, but is the market doing this or do I just have a bad dealer?

Its the market. Supply chain problems have limited supply. Compact tractor demand remains robust.

I hadn't plan to, but now I am going to price Kubota, New Holland, and Massey.

You should also shop Kioti, LS and Branson from Korea IF these brands have stable dealers near you. Korean manufacturing labor is paid 50% of what Deere pays its union work force. Japanese manufacturing labor is paid 70% of what Deere pays its union work force. Labor costs strongly influence tractor prices.

Start with the nearest dealer and work out.

Transporting a tractor for service is expensive and inconvenient, whether you trailer it or the dealer trailers it.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tractor for maintaining 100 acres in PA. Its about 1/2 open, 1/2 wooded. Plan is to raise some horses and maybe a few cattle. I will use the machine for general purpose tool around the property for grading, material movement, quite a bit of mowing, etc..

Fifty acres are open. Will the cattle and horses graze this fifty acres, in which case tractors ability to move 900 pound to 1,600 pound round bales of hay may be your controlling application, or will you have three to four paddocks, raising feed in one paddock, rotating animals periodically?

What is the plan for the open fifty acres?

Last edited:
   / JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #5  
Dimensions DEERE 4052R
Wheelbase:73 inches
185 cm
Length:130.6 inches
331 cm
Height (ROPS):100.2 inches
254 cm
Height (cab):97.4 inches
247 cm
Weight:3770 lbs
1710 kg
Clearance (front axle):13.8 inches
35 cm
Front tread:53.6 inches
136 cm
Rear tread:59.9 inches
152 cm

Dimensions DEERE 4066R
Wheelbase:73 inches
185 cm
Length:130.6 inches
331 cm
Height (ROPS):100.2 inches
254 cm
Height (cab):97.4 inches
247 cm
4WD ROPS Weight:3770 lbs
1710 kg
4WD Cab Weight:4675 lbs
2120 kg
Clearance (front axle):13.8 inches
35 cm
Front tread:53.6 inches
136 cm
Rear tread:59.9 inches
152 cm

Dimensions DEERE 5065E
Wheelbase:80.7 inches
204 cm
Length:137.8 inches
350 cm
Width:57.3 inches
145 cm (axle flange)
2WD Clearance (front axle):18.8 inches
47 cm
4WD Clearance (front axle):13.4 inches
34 cm
Front axle:Flange
John Deere 5065E Weight
2WD Shipping:4,634 lbs
2101 kg
4WD Shipping:5,070 lbs
2299 kg
4WD Operating:5,500 lbs
2494 kg

I feel like the 5 series would be great to have for some of the bigger jobs, but its too large for that compact tractor around the barnyard.

The three tractors you are researching are very close in physical dimensions, according to TractorData.com. The 5065e is considerably heavier, which is a '+' to me, however the advantages that come with deluxe options on 4052R/4056R are also a '+' to me.

Last edited:
   / JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #6  
We buy hay. We need to move bales. Bales can be 800-1200 lbs.

It is understood you need to move bales. Do you need to lift bales in order to stack them two or three bale rows high?

An open station tractor with a bare weight of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds can lift and move 800 - 1,200 pound round bales using a bale spear on the Front End Loader and stack bales two high on level ground if you purchase a FEL with sufficient lift capacity 500mm forward of the pivot pins. However, the tractor will feel very tippy to a neophyte operator lifting bales to stack.

An open station tractor weighing 3,700 to 4,000 pounds can transport 1,200+ pound round bales safely with a Three Point Hitch mounted (rear) bale spear but can only lift bales a few inches. Transport but no stacking. The tractor is stable because the bale weight is low and bale weight is carried on the large, rear tractor tires, which do not pivot/steer.

This is the mid-weight category of compact tractors, a high volume segment. Every tractor manufacturer produces an economy model and a deluxe model in this weight range. Horsepower options range from 40-horsepower to 60-horsepower in this weight range.

A tractor with a bare weight of 3,700 to 4,000 pounds is suitable for actually working 10 to 25 acres of farm acreage. Working acres, not total acres.

For safety most recommend a 5,000 pound bare weight tractor for moving and lifting bales heavier than 1,200 pounds using a bale spear on the Front End Loader and for safely moving/stacking 1,200 pound bales by inexperienced tractor operators using a front bale spear. A 5,000 pound bare weight tractor can stack round bales at least three high.

A tractor with a bare weight of 5,000 pounds is suitable for actually working 20 to 40 acres of farm acreage. Working acres, not total acres.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #7  
If you're not doing any ground engaging work (disc, plow, etc) then I would lean towards a HST for your needs.

If you're looking at Kubota the MX series sounds like it might fit what you're looking for.

Last piece of advice... No matter what you buy, it will shrink when you bring it home and you'll wish you had something bigger.

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #8  
Hi Guys, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tractor for maintaining 100 acres in PA. Its about 1/2 open, 1/2 wooded. Plan is to raise some horses and maybe a few cattle. I will use the machine for general purpose tool around the property for grading, material movement, quite a bit of mowing, etc..

I had my heart set on a 4 series but after getting quotes from the JD dealer, I couldn't believe the current pricing.

I asked for quotes on the following:

4052R with Loader, Bucket, and Forks
4066R with Loader, Bucket, and Forks
5065e with Loader, Bucket, and Forks

The 4052 came in at 57K out the door with PA taxes
The 4066 came in at 64K out the door with PA taxes
The 5065 came in at 52K out the door with PA taxes

Clearly the 5 series is allot more machine, and it also seems like the JD guys are pushing me towards that. The discounts offered on the 4 series were < 10% of list which I expected much better. I figured it must be the state of the market.

I hadn't plan to, but now I am going to price Kubota, New Holland, and Massey..

My question is does a 5 series seem like too much machine, will it be too big to be effective for the smaller jobs if I went that way?
Does this pricing align to what others are seeing elsewhere?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks.
Look at a Kubota MX6000 HST 4x4. $38k with loader

/ JD 4052R vs 4066R vs 5065e #10  
After operating stripped, open station tractors for decades, I finally purchased a cab tractor with a few bells and whistles. I'm happy I made the switch. Life is too short.
Lots of people like them. I’ve never cared for the closed in feeling.