JD 4200 Grease fitting extension

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
The JD 4200 - 4400 series of CUT's have a grease fitting for the right hand brake pedal that is a PITA to reach as it's buried behind the right cowl panel, and is barely visible with a mirror.

I made a 150mm (~6") long extension from some 10mm O.D. x 7mm I.D. tubing. Since I installed a 90-degree grease fitting on it, I had no idea where the fitting would bottom out once the extension tube was installed on the tractor. Therefore I added a stop nut to allow control of the fitting's orientation.

The first two photos show the unfinished and finished extension. Since I don't have access to affordable zinc plating, I painted the tube and nut with JD's buff primer and medium gloss black spray cans. I baked them in the wife's oven when she was out for the day at 170-degrees for 20-minutes.

The next two photos show the area where the fitting extension is located. The third photo shows the stock JD area around the right brake pedal, and the fourth photo shows the extension peeking out from under the cowling above the fuel tank drain petcock.

I'll be trying this out when I do my next 200-hour service in the near future...weather permitting.

Attachments

• DSC04055.JPG
    DSC04055.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC04064.JPG
    DSC04064.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC04090.JPG
    DSC04090.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC04092.JPG
    DSC04092.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 384
   / JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #2  
Nice idea Matt:thumbsup:

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #3  
I have never found that fitting. Double glad you pointed it out and fixed it too!

I didn't have enough things to do before it started snowing of course. :D

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #4  
Now that's what I call "Crafty". Should have been designed that way by Deere. That's one mod that's going to pay off every time you use it. I've done similar things in the past like this but used a flexible grease hose. Why don't engineers do this sort of thing? I think because they don't care if those fittings ever get greased.

Very tidy design Matt.

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension
Thanks Paul. I think it's more of a case of some bean-counter overruling the engineer.

Getting to that fitting has always been a royal PITA.

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #6  
Thanks Paul. I think it's more of a case of some bean-counter overruling the engineer.

Getting to that fitting has always been a royal PITA.

I don't know. If they cut a little here and a little there it will be a Hugh savings considering all those units they produce. Either way you did a great job and well worth the effort. I'm going to look around at my beast and see if I can find any hidden nipples and see if I can do the same.

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #7  
OK, I can not tell a lie.... I've had my 4400 now almost ten years, and this is the first time I've greased that one! Guess I need to RTFM more.

Wayne

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #8  
OK, I can not tell a lie.... I've had my 4400 now almost ten years, and this is the first time I've greased that one! Guess I need to RTFM more.

Wayne

Wow, I am :ashamed: to be your friend now.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #9  
Wow, I am :ashamed: to be your friend now.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

yea, my friend would have pointed that out!! LOL. Funny thing is, I'm not sure I ever hit the brake peddle!!

Wayne

/ JD 4200 Grease fitting extension #10  
pedal

Sorry, the OCD got to me.... :thumbsup: