JD 4300 parking brake ?

/ JD 4300 parking brake ? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I have a 2001 JD 4300 HST 4x4 that I can't seem to get the parking brake to work. I have been lowering the FEL to the ground to compensate for now but would like to get a permanent fix. In the manual it shows a knob just below the instrument panel, on the right, that you are supposed to pull. My tractor does not have this knob but has a lever on the left side of the seat that is similar to a car's parking brake with a button at the end. I pull it up but it does not engage the brake and goes back to the lower original position . Could it need an adjustment? Usually when these wear they engage to soon and don't apply enough pressure. Does anyone here have this type parking brake on their 4300? I am not where the tractor is right now but plan on visiting soon and would like some ideas before I go. Thanks :drink:

/ JD 4300 parking brake ? #2  
My 2001 4300 has the knob on the right side under the instrument panel. It needs to be adjusted occasionally. I'm not familiar with a 4300 model that has a brake lever but it should be adjustable or maybe there's a linkage problem. :confused3:

/ JD 4300 parking brake ?
My 2001 4300 has the knob on the right side under the instrument panel. It needs to be adjusted occasionally. I'm not familiar with a 4300 model that has a brake lever but it should be adjustable or maybe there's a linkage problem. :confused3:

Thanks, I plan on checking the linkage when I get to the tractor. I was hoping someone on the site has the same lever parking brake and could lend some guidance.:drink:

/ JD 4300 parking brake ? #4  
I had a 4300 with the lever style. The issues I had revolved around the fact that the cable attachment was mounted off center and with use it bent the lever to the point that the ratchet wouldn't latch, and it failed to contact the switch when released. If the brakes won't hold when the lever is held in the 'on' position then I would suspect the turnbuckle adjustment. I used my parking brake a lot and it was a pain. I was always going to fabricate a fix, but sold the tractor wen I went up to the 4520.

/ JD 4300 parking brake ? #5  
There are two turnbuckles to adjust the park brake. If the lever won't stay in the engaged position, the lever assembly is probably worn and needs to be replaced. I attached a diagram that shows the turnbuckles.(#13)

Attachments

• MP31349________UN18MAR03.gif
    MP31349________UN18MAR03.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 768
   / JD 4300 parking brake ?
I had a 4300 with the lever style. The issues I had revolved around the fact that the cable attachment was mounted off center and with use it bent the lever to the point that the ratchet wouldn't latch, and it failed to contact the switch when released. If the brakes won't hold when the lever is held in the 'on' position then I would suspect the turnbuckle adjustment. I used my parking brake a lot and it was a pain. I was always going to fabricate a fix, but sold the tractor wen I went up to the 4520.

I will see if the brakes hold when I pull up on the lever. If so it sounds like the assembly might be bent. Thanks

There are two turnbuckles to adjust the park brake. If the lever won't stay in the engaged position, the lever assembly is probably worn and needs to be replaced. I attached a diagram that shows the turnbuckles.(#13)

Thanks for the diagram. The lever won't stay up. It sounds like it is either bent, worn or in need of replacement. Thanks for the help. I will let you guys know how it turns out.