JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #21  
I just went through this and both are great machines. I thought the Kubota was the better machine.

Just so you know I was able to buy the 3130 hst with the 5 series loader and R-4 tires for approx 16.5 K. You might want to bargan a little harder as it is a fine machine.

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #22  
Nice price for a great machine. If the L3130 is anything like the L3830 and I suspect it is, it's going to really be an experience for you. I think these new L30's really hit the target. Rat...

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #23  
Very nice indeed. I love the digital display in the bota.... Pto speed, MPH, trip etc are fun to look at /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Deer ehydro pedals worked well for me. In my opinion, its a better set up. Their loader control was very nice. But, I ended up with the Kubota. The overall package won me over. The size, build quality, metal, comfort and dealer support closed the deal for me.

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130
Well,,,, Lots of advise, some (well lots of it) seems to be very opionionated. That's okay we all have our preferences in all areas of life. I really do appreciate your advise, and I have made a decision. After 2 weeks of close consideration and analysis I have decided to make a purchase tommorrow. I have weighed out everyones thoughts and opionions. I think like you do that both are very good tractors, and either one will do the job well. I will tell you tommorrow night wheater it is Orange or Green. So, to make it fun everyone can vote on what they think it will be and we will find out Friday night. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #25  
Hi Mark,

I had the understanding, the original poster was asking for some differences between the JD PowrReverser and the Kubota HST… and my reply above was as such…

I think the new Grand L 30 series are very very sharp… one ,the digital dash and feedback being very high tech! (I want one of those! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) (this one fact will sell MANY Kubota’s, regardless of the rest of the unit!)…

But, when you get to a “large frame” for a compact tractor… for it’s physical size & geometry… every other manufacturer starts at ~ 30 PTO hp… everyone except… Kubota… (you can look at this a couple different ways… is everyone else Right and Kubota wrong?... or is Kubota the only one Right and everyone else is wrong?)

…or is the real reason… MARKETING… ?

When a newbie first sets his sights on the Kubota L3130, and likes its “muscular” size in reference to the “B series”… and then falls in love with it upon discovering its “only slightly higher price” than the “B series”…

My only problem with the Kubota L3130 is the 91 CID powerplant is much undersized/underpowered for its physical size…
(ex. Look at the older Toyota T100 pickup, with your choice of 4-cylinder or 6-cylinder, a beautiful, well built truck… but Not a work truck with those installed powerplants)

Then to complicate matters further… attempting to compare one mfrs Large frame against another’s Mid Frame… (a ½ ton pickup with a V8 against a ¾ ton pickup with a 6 cylinder… /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #26  
I'm just not into the chasis size thing, in some cases it's not even distinguishable. I did not even think about it until you mentioned it. Even JD's site will compare their "medium chasis" to I guess what is considered a Kubota "large chasis", even though Kubota never mentions this. The physical size of these two tractors is very similar. Tires, engine, even weight is not that much different and plenty of reasons can account for a variation in weights. My local JD/Kubota dealer had them almost side by side and quite frankly, it was the JD 4310 that I presumed to be the larger of the two. I will admit that some of the strategy is marketing, Kubotas local dealer freely admitted, people told Kubota they wanted bigger tires and more loader performance and in this case, it appears they listened. Two dealers both mentioned that they felt the 3130 would be a bit underwhelming powerwise knowing the hills I live on and knowing I had a L48. It's no secret that the smallest of their "large frame" will also have the smallest engine, but it is only 2 ft lbs of torque less then the L3430. I for one mentioned before, they really did not need both sizes, I would have just had the L3430 engine in a L3130 model. The L4330 and 4630 are another example. I believe the entire reason for that was to try and matchup against JD's lineup. The advantage of having the latest tractor on the market is that you can focus on the direct competition and beat them by gnats bottom and let the specification freaks go googoo. That's why I take the specs with a certain amount of salt. I don't believe it comes down to one company having to be right and everyone else wrong, it's simply a matter of choice. I took the liberty of comparing similar transmission types since our poster also expressed a lack of knowledge about tractors. The other thing and perhaps really the defining thing for me was when I went to price the two, they were very close with the L3130 HST actually coming in lower then the JD4310 eHydro, yet another reason the small, medium and large is kind of a blurry line for me. Anyway John, as usual, it's always enjoyable engaging in friendly conversation, your a wealth of knowledge. After visiting that photography site, you know DPR review, I realized just how bad a web forum can be and appreciate what goes on here. Thanks, Mark

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #27  
John,

I'll have to step in here and disagree with you on a couple of points. First off, as a newbie I KNEW that there was a lot I did not know. So, how does one make an informed decission? You read, you look, you test drive, and you compare. You take knowledge that you have from "other walks of life" and you build on that. Before I started looking for a tractor 2 months ago I had never even heard of Kubota - well at least I had never noticed them before. I started my search where I will assume just about everyone does - at the John Deere dealership. It was their game to loose and they did an excellent job fumbling the ball. As a result I began to look elsewhere. I found New Holland and Kubota dealers who were genuinely interested in my business. Marketing had nothhing to do with my decission - the dealer did. I think all three (Deere, Kubota, and New Holland) have excellent tractors that would have fit my needs. Kubota got the nod because of excellent finance rates, good warranty coverage, and a size that fits my 6' 1" 250 plus frame (me - not the tractor).

Underpowered - I think not. For my 18 acres the tractor is the correct size. Let me tell a story here that goes way back. When I was younger I earned a living photographing the local drag racers in action. When I first started I couldn't understand why no one was interested in having a shot taken by me (I was attempting to pre-sell). I went home very disappointed that first day and took some time to analyze my lack of success. I realized that I didn't "look" like a photographer. The reason - my camera lens wasn't long enough. I knew the correct lens for the best starting line shots was a standard 50mm lens - but that didn't make me look like a photographer. So the next week I threw on a 250mm telephoto lens and had all the customers I needed. Of course I switched out the lens to the correct one before I snapped the shots. But by then I had the customer and was able to produce the best shots they had ever seen of their cars. Correct tool equals right result. Same with the Kubota L3130 - it's the right tool for my needs.

Not everyone needs a large tractor. If any "marketing" is involved it's the preception that big is better and bigger is best. My advice to everyone is to determine your actual needs and buy the correct tractor the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My only problem with the Kubota L3130 is the 91 CID powerplant is much undersized/underpowered for its physical size&#8230; )</font>

When I was looking at buying tractors the extra weight/size was one of things that initially concerned me. 3305# for just the tractor and 31hp. Add 850# for the loader and 1300# when the backhoe is connected or 600# with the BB.

A lot of people posted that the extra wieght would welcome and not to be concerned. The reason being that people are adding wieghts and filling tires to get the weight up for traction anyway.

Ok...great, no worries, the extra size/width just makes it that much more stable, roomy and I don't need to add weight or fill the tires to boot. The weight is already there.

I've had this tractor for 220+ hours now doing mostly heavy FEL and BB work with some backhoe work mixed in. I've moved hundreds of yards of dirt, rock and sand. The tractor has done everything I've asked and has enough power to turn the tires in 4wd as long as you don't mash the peddle.

The power is adequate on my hilly 28 acres. I wouldn't mind a couple more hp but I don't think its underpowered or oversized either.

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #29  
Re: JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130-Voting???

<font color="blue">… I will tell you tommorrow night wheater it is Orange or Green. So, to make it fun everyone can vote on what they think it will be and we will find out Friday night…</font>

My vote is… you’ll pick Orange and the “L3430”… not the L3130…/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

…and if you really want some performance in that class… go with the torquey L3830!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(a couple more horsepower and a little more torque… can really make a day and night difference, no matter what color you decide on!) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130 #30  
Re: JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130-Voting???

Reliability. Build quality. Freedom from problems.

This is the primary reason I would choose Kubota over any other brand. I can't "prove" anything. I have no statistics. And I know any given tractor can have a problem.

And we have had bitter, hostile threads about this issue here.

But, based on several years of reading tractor forums, visiting and talking to dealers and service departments, and testing tractors, I am convinced to a moral certainty that: Kubota is significantly more problem free than the competition.

Just my opinion.