JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage?

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #1  

quid_non

Greetings All!
I did a search on this but did not recover many threads. I'm often out working in the pastures and could use my saw only for a quick cut - - naturally I never seem to have it with me when I need it. That said - if someone has some ideas with pictures to share that would be great. I'm reluctant to drill any holes in my ROPS to attach but could use u clamps if needed. I'm also considering placing a scabbard/bracket on the inside area of the FEL mounting bracket. I 'll be using a small 12" DEWALT 20V saw to carry - - not my main saw but a perfect companion for this effort.
Appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #2  
sounds like you have hit on pretty much what everyone else is are doing. a spot on the FEL or ROPS and using a clamp on not a drill or weld.
There are just so many places on a tractor. I've been thinking of using the 1/4" steel on my ballast to weld up a chain saw mount or two

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #3  
I have a 4600 with the 460 loader. I need a chain saw mount too. In the past, I've put the saw on the floor at my feet, but that's not good because it can interfere with getting feet on the pedals. I am also not into making permanent modifications of anything. Hanging it off the top of the vertical loader posts seems to be a good approach.

I also need a tool box, so combining the two would be a reasonable thing to do, but a bulky tool box hanging off the loader posts might get in the way. I have not spent much time thinking it through. Maybe now is the time. Today's a rainy day here in NH, so it's a good time for that.

I also have a JD 2210 with the 120 loader. That's just a downsized version of the 4600/460. a mount that works on both machines would be great.

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #4  
Made two scabbards for my 4300. For what it is worth, find them very handy and make a habit of not leaving the chainsaws on the ground when the tractor is moving.
And when the snow plow is on, the FEL is off. Have an 18" and 20" bar Stihl saw. No drilling in the ROPS, just clamped on the ROPS

Attachments

• Scabbards.jpg
    Scabbards.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
   / JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage?

Made two scabbards for my 4300. For what it is worth, find them very handy and make a habit of not leaving the chainsaws on the ground when the tractor is moving.
And when the snow plow is on, the FEL is off. Have an 18" and 20" bar Stihl saw. No drilling in the ROPS, just clamped on the ROPS
Thanks beenthere!
Any special clamps you used on the ROPS? Also any mods to the scabbards to accept clamps and not pinch closed?
Appreciate the help!!

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #6  
Nice. Those don't look like the regular scabbards that came with any of MY saws.

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #7  
Two side pieces of 3/8 or 1/2" plywood separated by a strip of 1/2" plywood sandwiched/glued in between. Straps at diagonal on one side and straight on the other side with bolts to clamp.
Think this pic shows both sides. Straps from what found laying around.

Attachments

• 100_1351.JPG
    100_1351.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 78
   / JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage? #8  
Great, that helps a TON. Thanks. I couldn't visualized how you did that.

/ JD 4600/460 loader - - Ideas for small on-board Chainsaw Storage?
Two side pieces of 3/8 or 1/2" plywood separated by a strip of 1/2" plywood sandwiched/glued in between. Straps at diagonal on one side and straight on the other side with bolts to clamp.
Think this pic shows both sides. Straps from what found laying around.
Nice Job!
Thanks for the ideas ang pics!!