JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales???

/ JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales??? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Can anybody tell me if a grapple on my 4720 with 400x will handle ~1500lb round bales??? I know a spike would be easier and cheaper, but I want the grapple for other jobs too. Some say the claw doesn't open wide enough, others say it'll work.

Thanks, appreciate your help.

-J.

/ JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales??? #2  
I can't say for sure, but I would be very surprised if it works...Not just the opening, but the added weight also, but you did not specify with grapple either.

With the Quick-Attach feature that you have on the loader, I would get a dedicated bale spear for the bales, it will also be lighter to make handling/lifting the bales that much easier.

/ JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales???
I was thinking the frontier 72" manure grapple.

-J.

/ JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales??? #4  
jgrreed said:

-J.

That thing weighs almost 500lbs...I am not sure you will have enough loader capacity left over to pick up a round bale. Remember the weight of the bale will be pretty far forward.
Specs

Frontier

/ JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales??? #5  
Takes 2 pins and about 3 min to change over from bucket to forks. Not sure if it would be worth the extra safety issues to use a grapple for that size of bale if it is even possible.

/ JD 4720 with Grapple for Round Bales??? #6  
jgrreed said:

-J.

I highly doubt it opens wide enough. That is why they use this type of grapple for bales . . .

5480_Roading_lib2.jpg

5480_DSC_0428_lib2.jpg

I am also willing to bet that manure bucket weighs more than the specific bale grapple.