JD 5045e cold start clicks

/ JD 5045e cold start clicks #1  

bsvitale

Tractor
John Deere 5045E
2015 5045e has a brand new battery as of last week (resolved other starting issues). Used the machine yesterday. Plugged it in last night due to cold but turns out I only connected it at the tractor, not in the barn šŸ˜¬ It was below zero this morning and then temperature mid-day around 20 degrees F. So I plugged it in for about an hour and half. Then turned the key to the cold start circle on the ignition. It displayed "1 SEC..." (maybe it was WAIT 1 SEC?) and then an hourglass symbol (above the hours). Then the "1 SEC" message went away and just the hourglass remained. I waited about 10 seconds and then tried to start it. Just clicked. Turned it all the way off, repeated the procedure, waited longer this time (about 30 seconds) - same click.

So.. my assumption is the engine temp was too cold to start and so it prevents the start? Was I supposed to wait for the hourglass to disappear - how long does that take? In the last 7 years I don't really remember encountering this clicking behavior.

I'm sure it'll fire up just fine this week when its in the 50s. Would love to understand more about this cold start procedure and what the display is showing. Thanks!

/ JD 5045e cold start clicks #2  
Paint it orange and it will work! Just kidding.

I wish I could be of more help than a groan. Good luck!

/ JD 5045e cold start clicks #3  
Iā€™d check the battery. A good battery should read a little over 13 volts. It could be a bad new battery, but not likely. If it reads low volts that means itā€™s not charging. A more likely problem is battery cable problems or a bad/corroded connection somewhere. Where the negative cable grounds to the tractor is a common problem.

/ JD 5045e cold start clicks #4  
When you replaced your battery did you clean the cable ends? Are they tight on the battery terminals? If you can move them they're not tight. Follow the ground terminal to the frame. Clean and tighten. Did you charge the new battery before using? I like to charge my new batteries overnight before putting them into service. Fresh off the charger, as Dave said should be a little over thirteen volts to perhaps as much as fourteen volts. Just sitting the surface charge will go down and it will be about 12.6 volts.

/ JD 5045e cold start clicks #5  
Check fuses.
On older models (not sure about post tier iv), of Deereā€™s 50E series, the fuel pump has a ā€œwidgetā€ that I believe advances the pumpsā€™s timing on cold days. When this fails, it fails in a ā€œshortedā€ condition and blows the fuse. Tractor acts dead.
Replace fuse and unplug the electrical connection to the fuel pump. If tractor now turns over this was the problem. Replace widget and plug it back in.

Otherwise, see if voltage is getting to starter solenoid, and check cables/connections.