JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed

/ JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #1  

Stonewall Cardinal

Tractor
John Deere 5055E
I have a new JD 5055E open station. Can someone explain the rockshaft draft control and how to use it? I have only been bushhogging so far. Should I be using it for that at all? Will draft control allow the bushhog to follow the contour of ground? I have a lot of hog rooting and it is very bumpy.
TIA.

/ JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #2  
Draft control is for ground engaging implements, it relies on implement feedback to raise or lower, since bush hog won't do this, draft control will be all "down" or "up" and nothing in between.

Unless you have gauge wheels or decent skid shoes, nothing will automatically lift and lower a bush hog.

/ JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #3  
I have a new JD 5055E open station. Can someone explain the rockshaft draft control and how to use it? I have only been bushhogging so far. Should I be using it for that at all? Will draft control allow the bushhog to follow the contour of ground? I have a lot of hog rooting and it is very bumpy.
TIA.

I highly recommend that you read the 3pt hitch section of your owners manual. Should read the whole thing cover-cover IMO.

The manual should describe in detail how to operate the features that your tractor has.

/ JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #4  
Draft control is as mentioned for ground engaging implements like a plow. The draft control lever sets the amount of pull the tractor will do. In tough ground, the implement will push the top link toward the tractor. That action will tell the draft control to raise the implement until the pull (Draft) is as set by the lever. When the ground is soft, the same control will automatically lower the implement.

As for your bush hog. Set the draft control to off. then set your 3 point height as desired. I set mine for the front skids to skim above the ground, while letting the tail wheel roll. The top link MUST have some play or you will break something as the tractor & cutter encounter different ground levels.

Last edited:
   / JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #5  
I have seen some people use a chain for the upper link when using a bushhog. It allows the bushhog to follow the contours and still be able to pick it up. And no, do not use draft control with the bushhog, you must have some slack or you will break something as has been mentioned.

/ JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #6  
Have used the chain in place of the upper link, and also used chain in place of the flat bar stock on the brush hog.

Attachments

• RC513Mow.jpg
    RC513Mow.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 78
  • RC513Bank_sm.jpg
    RC513Bank_sm.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 77
  • RC513carry_sm.jpg
    RC513carry_sm.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 84
   / JD 5055E; Draft control and PTO speed #7  
TIA.

Draft control will not change how the bush hog follows ground contour, leave it set to "off."

What you want to do is allow float in the 3 point side links. There is a rectangular-headed pin where the side link attaches to the draft link on each side. When there is nothing attached to the 3 point, remove the linch pin from the end of these rectangular pins and rotate the pins so that each one fits between the tabs in the side link, then reinstall the linch pins. Now the draft links can wiggle up and down a little with regard to the side links and thus each other to allow the cutter to followed angled ground a little better. Many bush hogs have a pivoting hitch mast that will let the rear of the cutter move up and down relative to the front, allowing it to follow the contours front-and-back somewhat.

The process of adjusting the side link float is on page 132 of the manual for your tractor, available for free in PDF form if you don't want to retrieve it from the little pocket behind the seat to read the paper version.