Comparison JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I have been considering upgrading my current tractor. I have read of this similar comparison in a couple of threads. I have read many posts where the "E" series are referred to as entry level or basic machines and the "M" series described as much more tractor. In comparing the 5065E and 5065M with about the same features, I come up with approximately a $10,000 difference. The "M" series is about 1300 lbs heavier, has extendable draft links std., rear work light std. and a 5-cylinder engine vs. the 3-cylinder. For the part time farmer, food plot maintenance, basic property up keep and occasional loader work what is it about the "M" series that is $10,000 better? I grew up on standard gear tractors from the 40's and 70's. The current 5105 with SyncReverser is a huge upgrade from what I was used to. I just can't see the justification behind the "M" series for my uses. Is the performance of the "M" series going to be that much better and more particulary $10,000 better? For reference, I am trying to find something that matches or beats the performance of a Ford 4000 with loaded 16.9-30 rear tires. I gave an offer on a JD 5303 last week, but want to make sure I make the right decision the first time.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #2  
Here are some basic differences

e series, dry cltuch
m series, wet clutch

e series, overseas mfg
m series, usa mfg

e series 3cyl turbo
m series 5cyl turbo

e series, no reverser (2 trans choices)
m series, reverser ( and 4 trans choices)

e sereis, 540 pto only (mech actuated)
m series, 540 2 speed, and 1000 options (eh actuated)

e series, hyd flow @ 1 scv 11.4 gpm
m series, hyd flow @ 1 scv 14.6 gpm

e sereis, three pt mech only top link sensing
m series, three pt, mech or eh, lower link sensing

e series, straddle platform
m series, flat platform

etc, etc.

All of these and more does cost $. The big one for me would be transmission options (as well as a reverser), and the wet clutch. Just no question of clutch durability vs a dry clutch. I don't think there is anything wrong w/ the e series is just another option if you don't need the additional features or comfort level. good luck, I don't think I got any of these specs wrong but am sure someone will point them out if I did..

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION
I believe your specs are correct. It also appears that the wet clutch is only on the PowerReverser and the standard transmission is the SyncReverser. Lift specs seem to be about the same. In my search I seem to have found that there are less maintenance issues with the previous "03" series than the earlier "05" series. Have not heard anything on the "25" series or new "M" series. Have been looking at used tractors too and that puts the same comparison to the "03" series and "25" series. Most of the used 5325's I have looked at have the 9/3 SyncReverser transmission which should bring the dry clutch back in to play. What would be the advantage of the 5cyl engine over the 3cyl? And if it is an advantage to have more cylinders why does the next step up go back to 4cyl engines?

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #4  
I see no advantage to the number of cylinders. Possibly its a balance issue.
It used to be the 3 cylinder tractors had a shorter wheel base than the 4 cylinder tractors, then with the 5 cylinder tractors they now share the same wheel base. One big difference is the 5 cylinders are a dry block and the 4 cylinders are wet sleeved.

I like where they move the fuel tank on the M tractors and that they now paint the axles green, but not enough to buy one over a 25 series or even a 20 series.

Myself, I would want a reverser, and wet clutch, and made in USA.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #5  
You didn't say, but are you buying a cab tractor or open station? I think the differences are greater on the cab tractors.

I've been looking for several months, and will probably buy a 5085M in the next few days. I've looked at the "E" series, and I see some things that I don't like. (most of it is mentioned above) Collectively, I put about 400 hours per year on my three tractors. I realize that is not nearly what some do, but it's much more than most people will ever use a tractor. For me, it's worth the extra money to get the comfort and features of the M. My plan is to keep this tractor for a long time. $10,000 spread out over 20 or 30 years is not a lot.
JMHO

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #6  
all i know about the subject is this. the M series are supposedly heavier then the previous 5025 series. however, i have yet to hear any other benefits the M series have over the 5025 series other then a 16x16 power reverser and 32x32 pr vs a 12x12 and 24x24 in the 5025 series. granted the 24x24 and 32x32 are harder to find it seems, but i would suspect this would benefit for haying or similar applications anyways. I too am considering upgrading to a 5325/5425 or a 5065m. not anytime soon, but in the next few years. reasons are i'd like to have a few more gears, power reverser would be sweet, more weight wouldn't be a bad thing, bigger motor would be greatly appreciated for the pulling applications i do(my 2.9 is a strong motor but i can even make my 56hp tractor bog down at times with my disk), better hydraulics and stronger loader, ergonomics are better. didn't have the money at the time i bought my tractor because i HAD to have a tractor right then and there wasnt time to go shopping around for used, or save up extra $$$ to get a 5025 series.

i asked a salesman why Deere used the 5cyl engine and then jumped to the 4cyl and his response was emmisions. i don't think that was the right answer seeing is how they have the 2.9 pushing 74hp in the E and 03 series. you'd think they could derate the 4.5L 4cyl to cover ALL the M series but they don't. it makes the 5cyl seem like the oddball being used in only two tractors. i personally would prefer to have the 4.5L 4cyl but don't have the need for an 85+hp tractor. nothing wrong with the 5 cyl though that i've heard of.

also keep in mind that the 5025, 5003, 5E and 5M series ALL use the SAME front axle. don't let anyone tell you any different. don't believe me? go look for yourself. 2wd use Cararro and 4wd use DANA and you'll notice the little plate is stamped "made in china". also notice the engine and transmission that's used in the 5003 and 5E series is been around for YEARS. it's been used by alot of Deere's utility lineup. assembled in Mexico i believe but i could be wrong. me wanting to move up to a 5025 or 5m has NOTHING to do with where it's made or isn't made. my only gripe with the 5003 series and 5E series is the paint on the rims is too think for my liking and the 4wd is a PITA to engage sometimes.

honesly if i was going to keep the tractor for years and year, i would go with the 5m series. to me the benefits outweigh the negatives. resale value seems to be alot better on the 5025 and 5m series then the 5003 and 5e series. i see alot of the 5003 series for sale with not alot of hours on them for almost HALF the price they were when new. a 5325 with 1,500 hours was STILL commanding a $25,000 price i saw the other day.

This tractor will be an open station. For the type use I have I am seldom in open fields for very long periods of time. Would be concerned with damaging the cab in the woods. I guess one question with the "M" and 5025 series would be are there more maintenance issues when dealing with more "bells and whistles"? I definitely realize the benefits to the extra weight when pulling ground engaging equipment, but will owning the higher tech unit create more headaches as it starts to age? I am curious of the expected life of a wet clutch versus dry clutch.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #8  
Deere claims 3 to1, wet clutch vs dry

Came across a 2004 5420 with 430 hrs locally. Has the 9F/3R SyncShuttle transmission. Not seeing many with the wet clutch power reverser available. Loader has been removed on trade in, but mounts left in place. Had a new 553 for $6100 or a recently traded for 521 for $3300. This is the 4 cylinder engine and assembled/made in USA. Don't foresee coming across the wet clutch anytime soon and price seems to be much higher. Price for this unit with the 521 loader is within $1000 of a 5303 I was looking at and this seems to be much more tractor. Going to look at it Saturday.

/ JD 5065E VS JD 5065M...$10,000 QUESTION #10  
I suspect you are finding more of the 9F/3R trannies units because the owners wanted to upgrade to the PR trannies.

If you are planning on loader work you will be much better served with a Power Reverser tranny.