JD 5105 Fire

/ JD 5105 Fire #1  

lincmercguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055E
This happened Friday after brush hogging the larger areas that I keep mowed. I mowed about an hour, ate a quick dinner, and finished another 45 minutes. I parked it here and went to spray thistle on the 4 wheeler and my wife and kids yell "fire" at me. Must have been electrical, but the only work done in the past couple of years has been maintenance and a couple of cosmetic things.

Things I did right and lessons for others:

1. I parked it outside after mowing. I usually do this to let the mower cool off before detaching it.

2. I parked it on the rocks. I do this for the same reason. It wouldn't have been an issue today.

3. I had two large fire extinguishers in the shop (behind me in the picture). I used the entirety of one and had the second ready in case it flared back up. One of my neighbors ran over with his, but we didn't need them. I will now have three, and larger ones.

I had it extinguished when the FD arrived. They sprayed it with one of their water/foam extinguishers and checked the temperature of everything.

4. I was able to disconnect the battery without tools. The fire was out, but it shorted something to cause the starter to engage. It didn't start since it needs power to open the fuel solenoid. The fuel lines had burned through already.

5. After the FD got done, I hosed off all of the stuff from the extinguishers.

6. I had bolts and clamps to plug the fuel lines. Don't want $100 worth of diesel to drain out.

7. It's insured. I was very specific about it when I changed carriers last year.

I don't think it's a total loss. Even if they say it is, I think it's worth fixing.

I'm still pissed, but it could have been a lot worse.

20220610_214914.jpg

20220610_214817.jpg

/ JD 5105 Fire #3  
Glad you had insurance on it. If they total it, you might be able to buy salvage rights from the ins company and keep it if you want to try fixing it.

/ JD 5105 Fire #4  
What type of insurance do you have on it?

Is it just part of your home owner insurance?

Last edited:
   / JD 5105 Fire #5  
I'm glad you were able to extinguish that fire before the tractor was a total loss. It looks like the fire was concentrated in the dash/instrument panel area. On my 5205 mice like to build nests under the dash area at the rear of the motor. Do you think you had a mouse nest there and it got hot enough to ignite?

/ JD 5105 Fire #6  
Sorry about the loss, but it was a very nice job keeping your wits about you! And an even better job being prepared for an emergency with a thought out plan and the tools needed to make it happen.

I once had one of my firefighters pinned against a fence by a car that engaged the starter during a fire and was in gear. Fortunately it was one of those slow motion events and no real harm was done, but it points out why you should never stand in front or behind a vehicle on fire.

The powder from the extinguisher is very corrosive, so even though you rinsed it off you may want to go back and thoroughly scrub it down. The same for any other vehicle that may have gotten powder on it.

Purely speculation based on the photo but I'd say the point of origin was the battery since it was so totally destroyed.

/ JD 5105 Fire #7  
Well, you have my attention need to improve my firefighting options.

What is a total can surprise me, but don't be shocked if it is. Remember the front end loader is not part of the tractor. So they will pull it off in calculation. Where is the fuel tank, is in under the seat area or behind the seat area? Sure good not under the hood as they use to be.

/ JD 5105 Fire #8  
Purely speculation based on the photo but I'd say the point of origin was the battery since it was so totally destroyed.

The battery on that tractor is located at the very front, ahead of the radiator. It doesn't look to be the origin of the problem.

/ JD 5105 Fire
What type of insurance do you have on it?

Is it just part of your home owner insurance?
Yeah, it's part of the home policy. I made sure with them that it was enough to cover it.

/ JD 5105 Fire
I'm glad you were able to extinguish that fire before the tractor was a total loss. It looks like the fire was concentrated in the dash/instrument panel area. On my 5205 mice like to build nests under the dash area at the rear of the motor. Do you think you had a mouse nest there and it got hot enough to ignite?
I don't think there were any mouse nests. I store mine inside of my shop and I've never had any evidence of mice in there. I keep a few traps out just in case.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2019 JEEP COMPASS (A34773)
2019 JEEP COMPASS...
2022 ALLMAND LIGHT TOWER (A34773)
2022 ALLMAND LIGHT...
2017 Cold Car 154in x 86in x 75in Refrigerated Box (A35430)
2017 Cold Car...
Skid Steer Rotor Tiller (A34302)
Skid Steer Rotor...
Pallet of Safety Fence (A34302)
Pallet of Safety...
JCT 72" Vibratory Roller (A34302)
JCT 72" Vibratory...