JD 5205 tie rod end replacement

/ JD 5205 tie rod end replacement #1  

ggrimm01

Tractor
JD 5205 with FEL
Hello all

I bought new tie rod ends to replace my old ones. Do I need to take the steering assembly off to replace the ends or can I just pound the ball joints out, loosen the tie rods off and the put the new ones one. Any help would be appreciated.

/ JD 5205 tie rod end replacement #2  
Usually tie rod ends are threaded into the tie rod so it's usually an easy swap and can be done in place.
Remove cotter pin from top of tie rod end and loosen nut so there is only a thread or two left. Loosen the clamp on tie rod where clamped around threads. Most tie rod ends are tapered where they fit into the steering arm so a smack on the tie rod end with a hammer will pop them loose. (I prefer to use a tie rod fork to separate the end from the arm) Remove the nut then you can unscrew them from the tie rod counting the number of turns. a small pipe wrench may be needed to unscrew them. Thread the new end in the same number of threads as the old one. Put tapered end back up into steering arm, install new nut and cotter pin. Install grease fittings (if included) and grease.
Another note, some tie rod ends are left hand thread, some are right hand so don't mix them up or they won't thread in.
If they don't come out you may need to use a tie rod fork to separate them. Most auto parts stores or HF sell them cheap if you don't have one.

/ JD 5205 tie rod end replacement #4  
2wd or MFWD?
Measure your toe-in before you take anything apart.