JD 5303 Clutch Adjustment

/ JD 5303 Clutch Adjustment #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
Noticed what felt like a slight drag accelerating in highest gear. Got me thinking about needing to check the clutch pedal free play. Looked online and found some generic info, but nothing specific. Wound up going to my manual. Tractor is 2008 model with around 1350 hours. I believe this is the first time it has been checked or adjusted. Procedure pretty straight forward. Hardest part was removing the connecting clip pin. Had to work it back and forth and pull on it to get it to come out. Somehow I managed to overlook this maintenance item. Engagement/disengagement feels a lot different with the proper amount of free play in place. Thought might post this here in case it helps someone else.

IMG_5507.JPG

Last edited:
   / JD 5303 Clutch Adjustment #2  
Congratulations on correctly adjusting clutch pedal free travel. One is normally amazed after reading their equipment operators manual at the vast amount of valuable information contained within the OM.

/ JD 5303 Clutch Adjustment
Congratulations on correctly adjusting clutch pedal free travel. One is normally amazed after reading their equipment operators manual at the vast amount of valuable information contained within the OM.

Agreed. “Read over” manual years ago, but as with somethings you don’t focus in “until it affects you”. Have a couple of older tractors with many thousands of hours on each and decided to check them too while on my mind. They were all adjusted properly. Honestly, liked the “feel” of the pedal without the free play better, but not at the risk of burning up the clutch.