JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent
JD 5303 speed/hour meter is electronically controlled by sensor on LH side of engine timing gear cover. I also recommend to check instrument panel wiring harness for good clean/tight ground connection

Where would the ground connection be that needs to be checked?

Spoke to local dealer shop this afternoon and they too recommended making sure had no fuses blown and good ground. If both of those check out then most likely is bad sensor. Believe he said they were around $40.

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #12  
It appears from viewing 5303 parts wiring diagram that there are 2 possible locations for wiring harness ground(-) connections. Have you considered investing in a JD 5303 tech manual?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-29 062855.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-29 062855.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 79
It appears from viewing 5303 parts wiring diagram that there are 2 possible locations for wiring harness ground(-) connections. Have you considered investing in a JD 5303 tech manual?

Will look over and see if can find those locations and check them out.

I actually have an electronic copy. Appreciate the attachment shared.

Had to do some quick loader work this evening. Unexpectedly looked down and tachometer was working again. I assumed this last time it had quit for good.

Was able to take side panels off and get to back of gauge cluster today.

IMG_9608.JPG

Did not find anything loose or out of place. Wiggling wires made no difference to tachometer working or not. When first cranked stayed at zero. After minute or two it started working. This more like what it has normally done for a while. Looked for nearby ground and found one and brushed it, but made no difference. No other electrical issues whatsoever tends to make think it is not a ground issue. For future reference, here are the views of each side with panels removed.
IMG_9609.JPG
IMG_9610.JPG

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #17  
On the left side view, is that the ground you cleaned just a couple inches above the letter "W" in the word "view" ?

On the left side view, is that the ground you cleaned just a couple inches above the letter "W" in the word "view" ?

It is. Everything was still securely in place and no obvious issues, but decided was that far in might as well.

/ JD 5303 Tachometer Intermittent #19  
I am having similar problem with the tach on my 5105. The beeper has gotten real screechy lately and then the tach has been erratic and reading a lot higher than what the throttle is set at. I removed the multi pin connectors on the back of the gauge cluster and cleaned them with electronic spray cleaner but to no avail. I haven't checked the voltage at the beeper yet, it is either defective or there is low voltage somewhere and may be causing the tach problem too. I did not notice that ground wire near the beeper but I will check that out soon. I replaced the speed sensor yesterday and that didn't cure the problem either. I hate to spend a small fortune on an instrument cluster. John Deere replaced it right after we bought the tractor, the hour meter quit working at 19 hours luckily it was covered under warranty.

I am having similar problem with the tach on my 5105. The beeper has gotten real screechy lately and then the tach has been erratic and reading a lot higher than what the throttle is set at. I removed the multi pin connectors on the back of the gauge cluster and cleaned them with electronic spray cleaner but to no avail. I haven't checked the voltage at the beeper yet, it is either defective or there is low voltage somewhere and may be causing the tach problem too. I did not notice that ground wire near the beeper but I will check that out soon. I replaced the speed sensor yesterday and that didn't cure the problem either. I hate to spend a small fortune on an instrument cluster. John Deere replaced it right after we bought the tractor, the hour meter quit working at 19 hours luckily it was covered under warranty.
I am tempted to try replacing the speed sensor too, but hate to guess at it. Recently had some loader work to do and the tachometer started back working. Wondering if the speed sensor can be intermittent or is it either good or bad?? I also took a pic of the hours as I am not certain they were advancing when the tachometer started working.