JD 5x03 utility tractors

/ JD 5x03 utility tractors #1  

piller

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M8540HD ROPS
My local newspaper seems to have ads about every other day for the 5103 or 5203 machines. The advertised price for the 5103 is $13,399. And I'm in need of a utility tractor (120 acres half forest half clear, driveway/roads/trails, hay, pasture, foodplots, etc).

So, what do you like/dislike about your 5x03 tractor, would you buy one again, is there a better alternative?

/ JD 5x03 utility tractors #2  
I just bought a 5203 that should be delievered in about a week, so of course I am a big fan of the 03s. There are other good options, if they are better options will depend on what exactly you are looking for. In my opinion the 03s are the best small utility value tractors. They are basic tractors with no fancy bells or whistles. One thing I really liked was how easy the transmission was to use. It's not a powershift or a power reverser but it is much more functional than a collar shift.

The price you see is going to be for the 2wd model with no loader. A 5103 with fwa and loader is going to be about $23,000. That is still the best price you find in the major brands.

Other similar sized tractors you should look at would be the Kubota, m5040, New Holland TT60A, and Massey 2515

Blee

/ JD 5x03 utility tractors #3  
And all new 5X03 models come standard with a rear remote, about an $800.00 option elsewhere...

/ JD 5x03 utility tractors #4  
I bought a 5103 last September and have really enjoyed it so far. The local dealer here has 5103 advertised for $12,999. In GA there is no sales tax on farm equipment. I also bought a 6 foot bush hog and a 6 foot Brown disc harrow. I felt the disc was a little too heavy for the tractor since I was getting more front end bounce than I wanted and have since added 6 weights to the front, which has helped a lot. I have 160 acres of hunting land and my uses are similar to yours with food plots, roads and firebreaks. I would recommend getting a front end loader (FEL) with your tractor. I will be adding one next month. They can really improve the functionality of your tractor. I think the 5103 is a good value. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it sounds like you won't need them. One thing for sure you want to add is a canopy top. Really keeps the sun off your face and neck when you spend several hours working. If you are afraid of getting the exhaust torn off the tractor from overhanging branches and limbs while mowing fire breaks or roads, consider having the exhaust turned down to run under the tractor. I'm very pleased with my set-up.

Attachments

• DSC00371-1.JPG
    DSC00371-1.JPG
    884.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    879.4 KB · Views: 375
   / JD 5x03 utility tractors #5  
piller said:
My local newspaper seems to have ads about every other day for the 5103 or 5203 machines. The advertised price for the 5103 is $13,399. And I'm in need of a utility tractor (120 acres half forest half clear, driveway/roads/trails, hay, pasture, foodplots, etc).

So, what do you like/dislike about your 5x03 tractor, would you buy one again, is there a better alternative?

I bought a 5103 last year when they were still 50 hp, I still don't know why the 5103 went down to 45 hp. Whatever. I love my 5103. Got the MX6 brush cutter and got the loader. Just bought a disk harrow from frontier (1280) and it works great. No complaints, although it does have certain limitations in being 2 wheel drive, but very few. I used the money saved on that feature (4wd) for impliments. The 5103 is plain jane, but I like it that way, less to break. One thing: if you are in the hot sun, get the canopy/hardback suncover. I intend to get one this year before I bake like I did last year a few times! Also, get the quickhitch, saves a ton of time for a little more invested. My alternative at the time was the JD 990, but I went with the bigger machine for hay moving etc. The previous note talked about the stack being kinda tall, which in my case I have to take it off before I bring it into the shed (typical garage door size), but I can do that and save money as well. I haven't had any issues with the stack jamming up with trees- but that is me. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

/ JD 5x03 utility tractors #6  
I just took delivery of a 5103 with FEL, 6ft rotory cutter and 6ft box blade. It's a 2WD with shuttle shift. So far it's been great. One poster asked why they went down from 50hp to 45. I believe my dealer told me they improved the engine and can get basically the same work out of the new motor. I also asked him about the 5x03 being obsolete anytime soon (read that on another post) and his response was that with the 5000 series they have made improvements but it's one of those basic tractors that have been around for ages and they seem to fit the majority of compact tractor users. I for one like what I got as I'm not real big into bells and whistles but want something that I won't have to replace anytime soon. Also noted that the resale value of the 5000 series doesn't go down much. I had found a 1998 with unknown hours (something broke) and they still wanted almost as much as a new tractor.

/ JD 5x03 utility tractors #7  
I bought mine new in 05 and have had no problems. I only have about 125 hours on it but it definitely does the job. Iwas using a 1952 8n before to keep 50 acres maintained, imagine the adjustment period the the 5103. I kept scratching my head in disbelief when i bushogged about 5 acres in 2 hrs. Used to take a day with the 8n. Great machine.