JD 62D mower deck wheel rod

/ JD 62D mower deck wheel rod #1  

suburbanfarmer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2720 - Craftsman GT5000 - YT3000
So in classic haste I got the tractor stuck with the deck still on it and as I pulled it out the decks front left wheel arm is now bent.
I got it out but the rod is pretty bent and wont adjust. Can i get a replacement or have to straighten it back ?

The dealer doesnt have it. :(

/ JD 62D mower deck wheel rod

Attachments

• deck.JPG
    deck.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 93
Looks like this is my best bet..

From

Any one had any luck straightening it ? what will be the best way to do it?

/ JD 62D mower deck wheel rod #6  
I would just block up each end on some hard wood so the bend is up, then, carefully whack it with a sledge. Keep playing with it until it is straight.

I would just block up each end on some hard wood so the bend is up, then, carefully whack it with a sledge. Keep playing with it until it is straight.
I will give that a try before I order the new rod. Should I heat it up first?

/ JD 62D mower deck wheel rod #8  
Heat? Not for that minor bend. Don't whack it too hard as it is weaker than you think. It is missing lots of metal because of all the holes.

Sounds good, thanks
Heat? Not for that minor bend. Don't whack it too hard as it is weaker than you think. It is missing lots of metal because of all the holes.

So after whacking away and not getting a result, I improvised.
Extended both ends with 3ft black gas pipe and wedged it between a V of a tree and with my son the opposite end I was able to straighten it out with a couple of tugs..easy as that :)