JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight

/ JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight #1  

Edensgardenertx

Tractor
John Deere 650
At the beginning of the summer, noticing slow lift and dragging of the loader, I drained the fluid, pulled the screen, (which was clean), and refilled the box to the correct level.

Things seemed to work pretty good. Then the tractor sat much of the summer after a few mowing jobs due to drought.

Now, I'm having lift issues again - surely the fluid can't be dirty after only a few hours - I ran it hundreds of hours before even checking it the first time and the filter was perfectly clean.

The lift is slow even without a load. I took the mower off.

There appears to be pressure in the line. When I crack open the oil lid it hisses. FE Loader lifts just fine.

What else could it be?

Last edited:
   / JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight #2  
Your subject implies you've lost pressure (weight), but post implies pressure is good, but speed is poor.

If the latter, maybe debris got stuck in the needle valve that controls descent rate on the 3-point? Did you try cranking that all the way open, cycling, and then setting back to where you need it?

/ JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight
Pressure SEEMS to be good, as it's hissing when I open the cap. Ar we talking about the valve under the seat? It was VERY tight, but I did manage to screw it over to the open (counter clockwise I think - i followed the arrow), how far should I go and will it make any difference unless it's under weight? Cuz i took the mower off. it will not lift AT ALL with the weight of the mower on it.

ok, opened up the valve all the way, ran it a few mins, lifted and lowered - with my weight on it - (bout 130#) and it raised and lowered. I'll eat lunch and then try the mower again. Fingers crossed that's all it was - thank you! @WinterDeeree

/ JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight #5  
That valve controls flow to the rockshaft, which lifts the 3-point linkage. Closing it restricts flow, and controls how fast the implement drops when you lower the position on the quadrant (control lever). To set:

1. Close valve a little farther than you believe you need to.
2. Raise implement.
3. Lower implement setting.
4. Open valve until it floats down at desired rate.

Awesome - great, and thank you! This tractor didn't come with any lessons or life long experience. I've been learning as I go since I got it several years ago.

/ JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight #7  
That machine is old enough and popular enough, you might luck into a free .pdf copy of the manual online. Otherwise, there's always used manuals on ebay. I very briefly had a 750, which is my closest familiarity with that particular model.

/ JD 650 Compact 3 pt hydraulics not lifting weight #8  
Make sure link #2 pivots freely on shaft #5. I have seen some of these get rusty and need to be freed up to work properly. It relies on spring pressure to move and if too tight to pivot, spring can't move it.

Attachments

• 650 linkage.JPG
    650 linkage.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 41