JD 650 last call

/ JD 650 last call #1  

kmosabe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1300 Original/beautiful
Well, all, I have asked for help with my tractor regarding the need of a wiring schematic to help diagnose a problem and I yet have a single respone. What I find Ironic, is that when I was not a JD owner buy a yammar owner, I recieved responses. I guess I am the only JD 650 owner out there.

/ JD 650 last call #2  
Missed your original post. I have the tech manual for my 650 and could copy it and fax to you. What is the problem? I will try to help you as best I can. Let me know. Good little machines.

/ JD 650 last call #3  
I have a JD 650. What problem do you need help with? I have had mine for 22 years and it still works fine. Let me know if I can help.

/ JD 650 last call #4  
kmosabe said:
Well, all, I have asked for help with my tractor regarding the need of a wiring schematic to help diagnose a problem and I yet have a single response. What I find Ironic, is that when I was not a JD owner buy a yammar owner, I recieved responses.
I don't think a Deere is a DIY tractor like Yanmar. You are supposed to take it to the dealer if it ever has a problem. :D :p :D

This wiring diagram for a Yanmar YM240 might be relevant for your 650, since Yanmar was building them both at the time. In fact I would like to hear if the electrics on the two tractors are similar.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...tion-switch-wiring-thermostart-yam240elec.gif

/ JD 650 last call #5  
California said:
I don't think a Deere is a DIY tractor like Yanmar. You are supposed to take it to the dealer if it ever has a problem. :D :p :D

This wiring diagram for a Yanmar YM240 might be relevant for your 650, since Yanmar was building them both at the time. In fact I would like to hear if the electrics on the two tractors are similar.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...tion-switch-wiring-thermostart-yam240elec.gif

Well, if the workshop manual for the 650 is as comprehensive as the one I got for the Deere 670 (also covers 770, 870, 970 and 790), it most certainly can be a DYI tractor.

Hopefully, ejb17 can help kmosabe out, since he has the manual.

I don't know about about the 650, but the x70 series and the 790 have pretty simple wiring diagrams.

/ JD 650 last call
California said:

Thank you for the diagram, I am sure it will help, along with others that helped, I will get the wiring mess figured out, will keep you posted

/ JD 650 last call #7  
so, what is the problem. i had a 650 for years and never had the first problem. sold it to my friend and two months later the mower quit. i was sure it would be that electric clutch, but he traced it to the dash switch...much cheaper fix.

/ JD 650 last call
Thanks to Ejb17, I have the wiring diagram. I now have to figure it out. The previous owner, disconnected all safety neutral switches, and also installed a new ignition switch. Unlike the original which you turn to the left to activate the thermostart, you cannot do it, there is no R1, R2, etc on the back of the new switch. On the back of the new switch is battery, starter, ignition, accessory. So, I have to "figure out" 1, where the wires, go to, figure out if wires are missing, and also figure out if the new switch will work. This is my main question. If the switch will not turn to the left, then how will the thermostart be connected to the new switch. I believe I probably will have to buy a new switch unless someone knows more about this than I know.

/ JD 650 last call #9  
Thanks to Ejb17, I have the wiring diagram. I now have to figure it out. The previous owner, disconnected all safety neutral switches, and also installed a new ignition switch. Unlike the original which you turn to the left to activate the thermostart, you cannot do it, there is no R1, R2, etc on the back of the new switch. On the back of the new switch is battery, starter, ignition, accessory. So, I have to "figure out" 1, where the wires, go to, figure out if wires are missing, and also figure out if the new switch will work. This is my main question. If the switch will not turn to the left, then how will the thermostart be connected to the new switch. I believe I probably will have to buy a new switch unless someone knows more about this than I know.

This post is old but I also have a 650 with no manual, My question is its very hard to start in cold weather. but the keyswitch does turn to the left assuming that the Thermostart works how long should I leave it turned and what exactly does a Thermostart do?

Thanks

/ JD 650 last call #10  
Thermostart is a heater in the intake manifold, used for cold weather starting instead of glow plugs. It is a device the size of a spark plug that gets hot when you twist the key left. They occasionally need to be replaced.

Also, they have a little fuel line attached. As the Thermostart heats, a valve opens to dribble diesel into the manifold and then ignite it to warm the manifold.

In my experience: 10-12 seconds is plenty for this pre-heating. If you get huge clouds of smoke you preheated too long. Several 10 second preheat/crank attempts will work better.

Thermostart description on Hoyetractor.com.

Thermostart in use; air cleaner removed for photo:

thermostart3.jpg