Planters JD 71 planter

/ JD 71 planter #1  

drz400

Tractor
'05 JD 3320
I just picked up a JD 71 single row planter.It has the corn hopper and a few corn plates.Other than corn , will this set-up also plant bush green beans with maybe a different plate?

/ JD 71 planter #2  
One of your corn plates should work great for your beans. Just put some seeds in and lift your three point up and try it out.

/ JD 71 planter
I just put my seed order in.I'm waiting for it to arrive. If I measure the seeds(beans) length-width-and depth, can I fit that to a plate with that size cell opening ??? You say the corn plates will also work for beans?

/ JD 71 planter #4  
drz400 said:
I just put my seed order in.I'm waiting for it to arrive. If I measure the seeds(beans) length-width-and depth, can I fit that to a plate with that size cell opening ??? You say the corn plates will also work for beans?

Least complicated way I've found is to simply take a seed and fit it into the plate cell. If it fits, it'll usually work. Oblong seeds like green beans, I have better luck when the cell is SLIGHTLY larger than the seed. Corn likes a fairly close fit. You can measure the seed also. Lincoln AG will list cell size for their plates on the website. I've taken a Dremel tool to a couple corn plates to get a better fit with beans, however, the correct fit, requiring no modification can be found with the right sized plate.

/ JD 71 planter
It sounds like its easy enough to do. Since I work in a machine shop I can fit the seed to a plate. Can't wait till the snow melts so I can try this planter out! Thanks !