JD 770

/ JD 770
Thanks Irwin!

The machine is at my fathers place now and it about three hours away, so I can't work on it until this weekend. I've been using the metal strap wrench on the filter, and will use a pair of channel locks or strap wrench on the filter housing. I'll let you know how it goes on Monday.

Gotta do some other maintenance this weekend too. I'm gonna replace the temp sensor, replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, and remove the cobbled, home-made heater that the PO installed (tapped into the hoses). Got a new JD seat cover for it too!

BTW - I know I should be punished severly for ignoring the maintenace on my machine. But actually I've been working on it, a little at a time, because it is parked so far away. On the bright side, it hasn't yet been run very much either.

/ JD 770 #12  
I had to remove a fan clutch on a vehicle one time and couldn't find a way to hold the water pump and keep it from spinning.

Enter the poor man's ingenuity. The metal strap wrench can slip, I've had it happen before. You can get more friction from a length of serpentine belt and a good pair of Vise Grips. Wrap the belt around the filter. Vise Grip the two ends of the belt together. Then give it Jesse. If the Vise Grips have good, sharp teeth, the belt shouldn't slip.

If worse comes to worse, I've seen my dad drive a long screwdriver through oil filters before ('78 Ford LTD with a 351 Windsor). That would be my last resort.

/ JD 770 #13  
I once saw a guy drive a big screwdriver right through the filter and turn it off that way. That was of course after all other methods were exhausted.

/ JD 770 #14  
driver444 said:
I once saw a guy drive a big screwdriver right through the filter and turn it off that way. That was of course after all other methods were exhausted.

Oh ya, I've been that guy more then once..;) (of course I've been working on cars/trucks since 1970) What s*cks is when the filter is in shreds and it still won't budge..:eek: :D :D...........persistence will get it off eventually..:)

/ JD 770
Well the filter spun off, first time. I had soaked it consistantly last weekend with PB Blaster. Saturday morning the filter spun right off with nominal effort.

So this weekend I serviced the fuild systems on machine: cooling system (new hoses, coolant, thermostat & temp sensor), hydraulic fluid & filter, engine oil & filter, front axle lube, and greased. All JD parts except the grease and engine oil.

Next weekend I think I'll change the battery (its 5 years old from the tag), a couple hoses that look weak and the air filter.

Thanks for the help!

/ JD 770 #16  
Doing the right thing by your machine, glad it's done and now back to pla.. oop.. er, work....:D